News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lincoln Memorial question

Started by Razgovory, June 22, 2015, 01:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Okay, one of Skip's more colorful friends on facebook claimed that

QuoteLincoln Memorial Washington DC. Inscription reads. "I Fight to Free No Man". The story behind how those words of Lincoln ever got up there must be quite interesting. In the late 50,s in school in Chicago we were taught the Civil War was primarily about States Rights and Lincoln "Free,d" only the runaway slaves in the North for political reasons to embarrass Britain and France To MINIMIZE THEIR SUPPORT Of THE Confederacy.

I could find no reference to this and called Bullshit.  Does anyone know anything this supposed inscription?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Scip has "interesting" Facebook friends, yes.

The Brain

Standing chick beats sitting chicks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Freeing slaves embarrassed Britain and France?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on June 22, 2015, 04:15:29 AM
Freeing slaves embarrassed Britain and France?

I think he is implying that by making the ACW about slavery, Lincoln made the confederate side politically toxic for Britain and France, so that they would not support the confederacy.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I'm trying to parse this statement. 

QuoteI am neither pro nor anti CSA. I am Pro facts. Fact is this inscription is chiseled in stone on the portal of the entry way of Abe,s Memorial building in D.C. My wife and I have seen it several times, most recently in 1999. It just is. Interesting to me that no one can explain how it came to be there... most likely conjecture is its the first part of a Lincoln quote such as "I Fight to free no man... I fight to preserve the Union " or some such. But that is pure conjecture. U know before and during his term of Office old Lincoln was not a popular President -hated by many, after all he got U.S. into war, introduced fiat paper currency = the Greenback, and was father to the hated DRAFT. INTRODUCING involuntary servitude to conscript troops to fight against involuntary servitude. I find that funny in a perverse sort of way. Founded Liberia and gave them U.S. Constitution. Then he failed to follow thru with shipping back the illegal aliens cause he was killed . He did manage to get the 13th Amendment passed, but not ratified until after his assassination. So you can imagine how widely unpopular those actions were, especially when coupled with 500,000 deaths more or less. As I recall his successor was successfully impeached the administration was so unpopular, hated might be a better word. So it is what it is, go to Washington D.C. see it for yourself, take photos..
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Lincoln was not the father of the draft. This was not the first time paper currency was used. Lincoln did not found Liberia. Colonization was never his plan. The South already seceded and illegally seized Federal property before he was sworn in. South Carolina fired on Fort Sumter, it did not fire on South Carolina. I think I have to call BS on his being pro facts. Is he aware of who Andrew Johnson was and why he was impeached in the first place? I can only assume he slept through first grade with his grasp on the facts.

Is your friend smart enough to breathe oxygen Scipio? Has he suffered some major brain damage of some sort? If not get new friends with IQs above 40 because that is pathetic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

He did encourage me to read "The Bell Curve", and the have someone explain it to me.

Scipio

I love my favorite internet troll.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Is he like that in person?  Is he really crazy?

Martinus

Quote from: Scipio on June 22, 2015, 11:02:13 PM

But it seems at least 4 or 5 people who frequently post on your wall are some deluded hardcore racists.

Josquius

He purposefully uses u to mean you when writing a long message
That's item number one on the idiot test.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2015, 02:11:16 AM
Quote from: Scipio on June 22, 2015, 11:02:13 PM

But it seems at least 4 or 5 people who frequently post on your wall are some deluded hardcore racists.

He lives in Mississippi and hangs with libertarians.  You do the math.  I know Valmy will but upset with me on the last part but the guy goes on about FIAT CURRENCY!  and the involuntary servitude of the draft.  Two common Libertarian themes.  Shipping African Americans to Africa because they are illegal aliens is a new one on me, though.  There really weren't any illegal aliens in the US during the civil war period.  There wasn't any law restrict who could come in or not.  The status of former slaves was a bit of a hot topic, but it was addressed by the 14th amendment which Johnson tried to Veto.  It was bullshit like that resulted in him being impeached.