Are these real estate listings for real? lots of acres

Started by Phillip V, June 22, 2009, 09:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

I was checking property prices in Texas, and I see houses with supposedly thousands of acres for $100k+. Am I misunderstanding the listings?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/San-Antonio_TX/beds-3/baths-2h?sby=1&source=web&ofbm=40

jimmy olsen

The pictures make it seem like that houses are on suburban lots, so the acreage doesn't match up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

LOL yeah right.

Maybe they got stupid and put commas instead of decimal points? Even then it seems wrong.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

I am looking at farms/ranches on REMAX Texas at 20+ acres. They seem more accurate. Financially feasible. I now have a long-term goal.

My target property:
http://www.remax-texas.com/remaxtx/index.asp?p=findahome.asp&selected=mls&listing=true&mlsnumber=784123&mlsid=3205

Monoriu

I remember the time when we first arrived in Vancouver, and were looking for houses.  We froze when we heard about terms like "lot sizes".  Hello?  We just want the house, how come you are selling us the land?  You mean, the price includes the LAND?  WHHHHATTTTTTTTTTTT?

Barrister

You can buy ranchland in Canada for ~$100k-$200k per quarter-section (160 acres).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Second house is nice. The ones on the first page are like all those new housing developments, with houses too close together. Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

South of San Antonio eh?  You will get to hang out with all the Toyota factory workers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Look at the actual listings.  They give the lot number, and then state that the acreage is the same as the lot number.  This clearly is a data entry problem, and not the actual size of the land.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 08:21:30 AM
Look at the actual listings.  They give the lot number, and then state that the acreage is the same as the lot number.  This clearly is a data entry problem, and not the actual size of the land.

Ok that explains it.  I was just blown away that what looked like ordinary suburban properties were listed as having 6,000+ acres.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, the southside kinda sucks, but it's not 5,000 acres for $115,000 bad.  :P   Really though, they've improved that area a bunch.  It's not a bunch of shitty neighborhoods surrounding tiny spots of nice places anymore.  It's more of an even mix it seems, until you start getting out of town, then it's just a bunch of larger properties like what you're looking at, mixed with nicer sorta countryish places on smaller lots, etcetc.  The new A&M campus is also going to be down there.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 23, 2009, 08:49:52 AM
The new A&M campus is also going to be down there.

Oh dear there goes the neighborhood.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 09:08:53 AM

:lol:  You know...whatever it is they're doing there with those awkward looking boots and such is still better than that testicle crushing....thing....

Not that that's saying much.

saskganesh

Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2009, 11:32:08 PM
I remember the time when we first arrived in Vancouver, and were looking for houses.  We froze when we heard about terms like "lot sizes".  Hello?  We just want the house, how come you are selling us the land?  You mean, the price includes the LAND?  WHHHHATTTTTTTTTTTT?

dude, in the real world, real estate is all about land. :)
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 09:08:53 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 23, 2009, 08:49:52 AM
The new A&M campus is also going to be down there.

Typical longhorn running down the Aggies.  :rolleyes:

Vince Young sucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive