Goldman Sachs restricts intern workday to 17 hours in wake of burnout death

Started by jimmy olsen, June 19, 2015, 04:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

How generous of them! :o

www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/17/goldman-sachs-interns-work-hours

Goldman Sachs restricts intern workday to 17 hours in wake of burnout death

The benevolent firm introduced new work hours for summer interns after Bank of America Merrill Lynch intern died from seizure induced by all-nighters.

Rupert Neate in New York
@RupertNeate

Wednesday 17 June 2015 22.32 BST
Last modified on Thursday 18 June 2015 14.48 BST

Go home before midnight, and don't come back before 7am. Goldman Sachs – one of Wall Street's toughest firms – has told interns they have got to work hard, but not too hard.

The new rules, introduced for this summer's crop of investment banking interns, have been introduced "to improve the overall work experience of our interns", a Goldman Sachs spokesman said. All of its summer interns across the world were informed of the new working hours rule on their first day in the office earlier this month.

Wall Street's shift to caring capitalism comes in the wake of the death of a 21-year-old Bank of America Merrill Lynch intern who had regularly pulled all-nighters in a desperate bid to impress his bosses.

Moritz Erhardt was found dead in the shower at his London accommodation after working 72 hours straight. An inquest found he died of an epileptic seizure that could have been a triggered by his long working hours.

Shortly after Erhardt's death, Goldman Sach's chief executive Lloyd Blankfein told his interns that they shouldn't give over their whole lives to the firm. "You have to be interesting, you have to have interests away from the narrow thing of what you do," he said. "You have to be somebody who somebody else wants to talk to."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

In Sweden we have laws that regulate how long hours you can have people work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2015, 07:19:06 AM

Yeah but then they claim the staff "volunteered" to stay.

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2015, 07:21:41 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2015, 07:19:06 AM

Yeah but then they claim the staff "volunteered" to stay.

Doesn't matter. They can't volunteer to work without safety equipment either.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Hm.

On the one hand, more humane conditions for the weakest members of the hierarchy. On the other hand, fewer dead investment bankers.

I have to think on this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2015, 07:50:59 AM
Hm.

On the one hand, more humane conditions for the weakest members of the hierarchy. On the other hand, fewer dead investment bankers.

I have to think on this.

:lol: :hug:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

KRonn

Seventeen hour daily work limit? How will new people ever rise very far in their careers!   ;)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point