Is there a 1st Amendment right to put the rebel battle flag on a license plates?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 24, 2015, 01:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2015, 06:30:44 PM
Well I guess the government shouldn't get into the gay cake business then.

I think California has a gay cake license plate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2015, 03:42:40 PM
How about just going with "print nothing"?

I mean, people can clutter the back of their car with all sorts of fucking bumper stickers saying they love the Confederacy, Baby on Board, Honk If You're Horny, etc.  Why must they have a special little license plate too?  Back in the day you couldn't do that shit to your license plate and the world didn't end. :hmm:
Money
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2015, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2015, 06:30:44 PM
Well I guess the government shouldn't get into the gay cake business then.

I think California has a gay cake license plate.
As well as a "Free Edward Snowden" plate. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 25, 2015, 03:45:43 PM
Money

Yeah I already explained this. Texas likes for its public institutions to be self funding if possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2015, 03:54:50 PM
As well as a "Free Edward Snowden" plate. :)

When did we catch Snowden? I bet those plates would be popular in Victoria.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Speaking of self funding through fees, John Oliver had a segment on traffic violation fines being farmed out to private fee collectors who charged the debtor something like $35 per month for the service of collecting the outstanding fines.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2015, 04:29:58 PM
Do cakes have a sexual orientation.

In Spanish cakes are guys, dunno if they are straight or gay though.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 03:59:23 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 25, 2015, 03:45:43 PM
Money

Yeah I already explained this. Texas likes for its public institutions to be self funding if possible.

Missouri is the same way...  This resulted in some problems recently.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2015, 08:35:33 AM
Yes there is a 1st Amendment right to put stuff on your car. I am not sure the state is required to print it though. But I guess the Supreme Court will soon let us know.

Anyway we have always delt with this Confederate problem by using the actual Confederate Flag, which is just a historical artifact, and not the Battle Flag, which is too closely identified with lynchings and segregation. Pity Texas and the SCV crowd couldn't compromise and resolve it that way.
The Supreme Court says the state is not required to print it, and Thomas is the shocking 5th vote in favor! :o

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/us/supreme-court-says-texas-can-reject-confederate-flag-license-plates.html?_r=0

QuoteWASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that Texas did not violate the First Amendment when it refused to allow specialty license plates bearing the Confederate battle flag. Such plates, Justice Stephen G. Breyer wrote for the majority, are the government's speech and are thus immune from First Amendment attacks.

The vote was 5 to 4. The court's other three liberal members joined Justice Breyer's majority opinion, as did Justice Clarence Thomas.

"As a general matter," Justice Breyer wrote, "when the government speaks it is entitled to promote a program, to espouse a policy or to take a position." Were this not so, he said, the government would be powerless to encourage vaccinations or promote recycling.

People use specialty license plates to suggest that the government endorses the messages they bear, he wrote. Otherwise, he said, people "could simply display the message in question in larger letters on a bumper sticker right next to the plate."

In dissent, Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote that the majority opinion "establishes a precedent that threatens private speech that the government finds displeasing."

Texas has hundreds of specialty plates. Many are for college alumni, sports fans, businesses and service organizations. Others send messages like "Choose Life," "God Bless Texas" and "Fight Terrorism." The license plates are, Justice Alito wrote, "little mobile billboards on which motorists can display their own messages."

He mocked the notion that, say, plates saying "Rather Be Golfing" or celebrating the University of Oklahoma conveyed a government message. The first, he said, cannot represent state policy. The second, in Texas at least, bordered on treason during college football season, he wrote.

Justice Breyer relied heavily on the court's 2009 decision in Pleasant Grove City v. Summum, which said that a city in Utah did not have to make room in a public park for a monument celebrating the tenets of minor religion even though the park included a donated Ten Commandments monument. The monuments the city chose to accept, the court said, were the government's speech. And when the government speaks, the court added, it is free to say what it likes.

The Confederate Flag and Free Speech

The court decided in Walker v. Texas Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans that Texas had not discriminated against the view of the group when refusing to allow its license plate bearing the Confederate flag.

Justice Alito, who wrote the majority opinion in the Summum decision, said Justice Breyer "badly misunderstands" it. Monuments are different, Justice Alito said, as a matter of history, convention and "spatial limitations."

Nine states have let drivers choose specialty license plates featuring the Confederate battle flag and honoring the Sons of Confederate Veterans, which says it seeks to celebrate Southern heritage. But Texas refused to allow the group's plates, saying the flag was offensive.

When Texas turned down the one featuring the Confederate flag, the board of the Motor Vehicles Department said "A significant portion of the public," the board said, "associates the Confederate flag with organizations advocating expressions of hate directed toward people or groups that is demeaning to those people or groups."

The flag appears on license plates in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. The Supreme Court's decision on Thursday, Walker v. Sons of Confederate Veterans, No. 14-144, now allows them to ban the plates.

The Supreme Court last considered what the First Amendment had to say about license plates was in 1977, when it ruled in Wooley v. Maynard that New Hampshire could not require people to display plates bearing the state's motto, "Live Free or Die."

Justice Breyer said Thursday's decision was its mirror image. Texas cannot force the heritage group to convey its message, he wrote, and the group "cannot force Texas to include a Confederate battle flag on its specialty license plates."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Holy shit I cannot believe it was that close. Thank God for Clarence Thomas.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers