News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2020, 11:30:55 AM
But I did learn the two of them are both descended from Queen Victoria, making them some level of cousins.
As was the custom at the ti....oh :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

And since we are talking about Queen Victoria:

"I am not a German Spy I promise! I am as British as Queen Victoria!"

"Aha! So you admit to being half German and having married a German!"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2020, 11:33:47 AMYeah, our gossip mags are obsessed with royalty (Spanish and foreign)

You mean the fancy, "classy", old-school gossip mags, so basically just "Hola", right?  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2020, 12:57:21 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2020, 11:33:47 AMYeah, our gossip mags are obsessed with royalty (Spanish and foreign)

You mean the fancy, "classy", old-school gossip mags, so basically just "Hola", right?  :P

And Lecturas.

I love how my very republican mother is obsessed with them. Conversation I had with her last week:

Me: "Mom, you want and independent Catalonia and the Borbons exiled"
She: "Yes, but I heard that Queen Sophia went on a shopping spree at Harrod's and I want to see what she bought"

Eddie Teach

Exile is an unnecessary sign of weakness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

It's not gonna end well for Ron Jeremy is it?

ron_jeremy_pleads_not_guilty_to_rape

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/ron_jeremy_pleads_not_guilty_to_rape?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

You'd think he wouldn't feel the need.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I have reached the stage of my 30s that, while shopping for knitwear, I have impulse bought a bomber jacket :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Don't think I'll ever recover from reading this story:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/29/new-york-city-sinkhole-rats-man-falls

Also - never visiting New York again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Well thats new. Apparently there's a new fast food place opening in town. 'Jollibee', a Filipino fried chicken chain.
So.
Thats a thing.
Anyone encountered it?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2020, 09:56:44 AM
Well thats new. Apparently there's a new fast food place opening in town. 'Jollibee', a Filipino fried chicken chain.
So.
Thats a thing.
Anyone encountered it?

Edmonton has one.  I've never been - my understanding is that it's quite popular in the Filipino community as it's a taste from home.

I didn't think the UK though had a significant Filipino community however.  According to a couple seconds of googling, UK has maybe 200,000 Filipino residents, while Canada has ~800,000 (and of course the UK has a larger overall population).

In addition to fried chicken, they also sell hamburgers and spaghetti.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Interesting - I used to live in a fairly Filipino area in London with a number of Filipino restaurants but didn't see any fried chicken.

There's a tonne of Korean fried chicken places though. But I think that's a food trend rather than for the community.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2020, 10:29:45 AM
Interesting - I used to live in a fairly Filipino area in London with a number of Filipino restaurants but didn't see any fried chicken.

There's a tonne of Korean fried chicken places though. But I think that's a food trend rather than for the community.

Well my understanding (again I've never been) is that it's not exactly Filipino food, but rather quasi-American fast food as seen through Filipino eyes.

Like their spaghetti - Filipino's didn't have easy access to tomatoes, so their sauce is something called banana ketchup, made with bananas, vinegar and red food die.  It's apparently quite sweet and sounds disgusting, but it's a big hit amongst Filipinos.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.