News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

A little like Dear Leader Fathead giving expert advice at every factory.

Razgovory

It's like very the soul of Paris is on fire. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Sécurité Civile Fr
@SecCivileFrance
Hundreds of firemen of the Paris Fire Brigade are doing everything they can to bring the terrible #NotreDame fire under control. All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral.
9:38 PM · Apr 15, 2019
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

How embarrassing that they had to address that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I prefer to take it as a cute put down.

Josquius

It was undergoing renovation work right?
So hopefully most of the artifacts are being stored elsewhere?
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2019, 03:54:52 PM

I really don't think it had so many pre 19th century important artifacts...most went out in the revolution.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

//
Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2019, 03:54:52 PM

No, only a few statues from the roof. And some had been put back in place recently.

But it seems most of the treasury has been saved, at least.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2019, 03:49:43 PM
How embarrassing that they had to address that.

To be fair (!?), many Frenchmen, who are used to seeing footage of flying water tankers to fight forest fires in Southern France, were asking the same question.
Que le grand cric me croque !

dps

I'm actually surprised that some posters here aren't expressing glee at the fire.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Caliga

There are some folks who (I presume) are jokingly Francophobic on here. :contract:

I'll admit I sometimes poke fun at France, but mocking the French for Notre Dame burning down is a pretty low blow.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: dps on April 15, 2019, 05:18:48 PM
I'm actually surprised that some posters here aren't expressing glee at the fire.
I think we've outgrown that phase at least five years ago, just as it went viral on the rest of the Internet.  Now we squabble about retirement savings.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2019, 05:24:39 PM
There are some folks who (I presume) are jokingly Francophobic on here. :contract:

Actually, I was thinking about some of the stridently anti-religious folks.