News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 14, 2023, 10:33:57 AMUsing your phone while driving? Tsk tsk

:P

It was worth it - that plate is awesome.

Although that's showing some serious dedication to an internet meme about a 40 year old movie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Is it safe to use a potato masher grenade as a hammer? :unsure:

Syt

A handy tip for you motorists out there. (Apparently this is from Popular Mechanics Magazine, January 1963)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

So, in the last stage of Celedhring's rock dinosaur tour 2022-2023, yesterday The Who came to Barcelona. Jesus Christ, this was an awesome show. The Quadrophenia set they played to finish the concert (backed by a local live orchestra) was amazing.

I'm always a bit weary of those shows by aging rock stars, but they still pack so much energy, they really brought the house down. When I was a kid I wanted to be Pete Townshend when I was older and I think I still kinda want to  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2023, 12:22:10 AMA handy tip for you motorists out there. (Apparently this is from Popular Mechanics Magazine, January 1963)

[img]https://i.redd.it/a2grd57c616b1.j
mg]
No?
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Seems like a very cumbersome way to get rid of used oil.  US isn't Russia, even by 1963 I'm sure almost everyone had a toilet.

The Brain

Soil but the s is silent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2023, 12:22:10 AMA handy tip for you motorists out there. (Apparently this is from Popular Mechanics Magazine, January 1963)
(snip)

Make sure you cover it with soil and then remove evidence that you've done it, because it is illegal as hell (around here and I am pretty sure everywhere).  In Virginia, gas stations have to accept used oil brought to them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I hear... in Virginny you gotta accept... what ever... "Oil"... I bring ya.  Heh, heh, heh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

What's a good free picture hosting site, in order to post some pics here ?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Weird random idea that came to me.
You know how in star trek the translator seems to be really selective with some main species. Keeping significant native words intact. I think strange new worlds does this with the vulcan word for fiance?

Well. How about this as a part of an episode plot. A species with whom they have communication issues. Translator keeps failing on random words.
Turns out they're just really pretentious and don't accept the translator can do their language justice "what was I doing? The closest human translation would be having a shower"
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2023, 10:17:55 AMUnexpected posters: propaganda from during the German occupation of Belgium.
I don't fully get the hammer and sickle badge :huh:

Otherwise I can sort of see it. I think the SPD were the largest party in the Reichstag (with a far broader, more democratic franchise than the US or UK) and - as with many other parties of the left - were backing the war effort (and breaking the International) plus the German social model etc v rampant Anglo-Saxon imperialism and capitalism?

Still don't get badge though :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2023, 01:13:22 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2023, 10:17:55 AMUnexpected posters: propaganda from during the German occupation of Belgium.
I don't fully get the hammer and sickle badge :huh:

Otherwise I can sort of see it. I think the SPD were the largest party in the Reichstag (with a far broader, more democratic franchise than the US or UK) and - as with many other parties of the left - were backing the war effort (and breaking the International) plus the German social model etc v rampant Anglo-Saxon imperialism and capitalism?

Still don't get badge though :hmm:

It's rich-man Churchill with an American vest and pants and a Soviet badge.  Those were the main Allies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Oh sorry I thought it was WW1 for some reason - that makes more sense.
Let's bomb Russia!