News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So wait... looks like Nethanyahu is going down the path of Orban as well?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2023, 12:37:20 PMSo wait... looks like Nethanyahu is going down the path of Orban as well?

Oh great. What did he do now?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Justice reform - including (from what I've read) changes so a simple parliamentary majority can overrule supreme court decisions. Also changes to how judges are appointed, it being driven by the government rather than the current situation where appointments are made by a panel of experts that includes political representation. Some changes to the supreme courts ability to block laws. I'm sure there's more.

Seems the clear intention is to make the judiciary a tool of the government rather than an independent institution.

Looks like there are massive street protests and a physical police response as well.

Sheilbh

Also forming a coalition with a party led by a man who has literally described himself as a "fascist homophobe" and just this week after mob violence from settlers burning Palestinian homes in the village of Huwara said: "I think that the village of Huwara should be erased; the State of Israel should do that." (He has previously said Ben Gurion didn't finish the job in 1948).

I think the comparison with Orban is exceptionally flattering to Netanyahu.

There are some very dark currents on the Israeli far right and Netanyahu is embracing them all.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2023, 01:07:54 PMJustice reform - including (from what I've read) changes so a simple parliamentary majority can overrule supreme court decisions. Also changes to how judges are appointed, it being driven by the government rather than the current situation where appointments are made by a panel of experts that includes political representation. Some changes to the supreme courts ability to block laws. I'm sure there's more.

Seems the clear intention is to make the judiciary a tool of the government rather than an independent institution.

Looks like there are massive street protests and a physical police response as well.

Which is kind of disastrous since the strong independent judiciary is one of the main things that sets Israel apart from their neighbors.

Without it they are becoming more like a regular Middle Eastern authoritarian state. Only one with human rights abuses and war crimes and genocide and...oh wait no that is also just like a regular Middle Eastern authoritarian state.

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2023, 01:15:17 PMI think the comparison with Orban is exceptionally flattering to Netanyahu.

Yeah I can't disagree unfortunately.

All of Israel's worst features seem to be becoming stronger over time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I am fighting my urge to blame it on the massive influx of Russian Jews over the last decades.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 02, 2023, 04:47:26 PMI am fighting my urge to blame it on the massive influx of Russian Jews over the last decades.
Crazy thing is many of the more Russian Jewish oriented parties are in the "left"/anyone but Bibi coalition now - I believe there were massive fallings out with Netanyahu. My understanding is they're broadly (but not all) secularist and Netanyahu's gone all in with the extreme religious Zionists instead.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on March 02, 2023, 04:47:26 PMI am fighting my urge to blame it on the massive influx of Russian Jews over the last decades.

Russian Jewish influence is older then that, isn't it? Ultra orthodox sects probably have a larger say. Vote as a block, breed like bunnies, super conservative and Anti Muslem
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on March 02, 2023, 04:52:35 PMRussian Jewish influence is older then that, isn't it? Ultra orthodox sects probably have a larger say. Vote as a block, breed like bunnies, super conservative and Anti Muslem

Big wave after The Wall came down.

No one likeable left in Israel except Tel Aviv surf bums.

The Minsky Moment

Netanyahu cares about staying in power, nothing more. If embracing Chomskyism would keep him in the PM spot, he'd do that.  Religious fundamentalist fascists?  Whatever it takes . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2023, 04:56:09 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 02, 2023, 04:52:35 PMRussian Jewish influence is older then that, isn't it? Ultra orthodox sects probably have a larger say. Vote as a block, breed like bunnies, super conservative and Anti Muslem

Big wave after The Wall came down.

That makes sense

QuoteNo one likeable left in Israel except Tel Aviv surf bums.

They lucked out that any criticism can be hardwaved away as antisemitism

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

I know what you were trying to say. :P

#damnphone#

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2023, 05:12:55 PMI know what you were trying to say. :P

#damnphone#

This time it really was the phone haha

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on March 02, 2023, 05:15:24 PMThis time it really was the phone haha

There are times when it's not?? :o

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2023, 05:29:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 02, 2023, 05:15:24 PMThis time it really was the phone haha

There are times when it's not?? :o

Less then before; more then it should  :blush:  :D