News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Josquius on March 09, 2023, 04:16:08 AMSemi related, went for a walk yesterday to where a blighted mid 20th century tower block is being demolished.
Quite interesting the stage they've got to, you can see into each flat.

Will they replace it with something that offers the same amount of housing?

The Brain

Will they increase biodiversity by 10%?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Josquius

QuoteWill they replace it with something that offers the same amount of housing
I think the plan is to replace it and one of its neighbours (the 3rd I think they're leaving) with a standard housing development.
So... Not sure really in terms of potential.
In terms of actual utility though they'll definitely be housing more. The towers have long been half empty as just a dumping ground for people who can't be housed elsewhere.

The whole area is quite a mess. One of the worst little town centres around. It's a shame really as the nearby church and its grounds are very scenic, not to mention the park if only they could clear out the ferral youths.

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2023, 07:50:16 AMWill they increase biodiversity by 10%?
:unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on March 09, 2023, 09:12:48 AM
QuoteWill they replace it with something that offers the same amount of housing
I think the plan is to replace it and one of its neighbours (the 3rd I think they're leaving) with a standard housing development.
So... Not sure really in terms of potential.
In terms of actual utility though they'll definitely be housing more. The towers have long been half empty as just a dumping ground for people who can't be housed elsewhere.

The whole area is quite a mess. One of the worst little town centres around. It's a shame really as the nearby church and its grounds are very scenic, not to mention the park if only they could clear out the ferral youths.

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2023, 07:50:16 AMWill they increase biodiversity by 10%?
:unsure:

It was brought up recently that fresh UK regulations say you can't build sh*t unless it raises biodiversity by 10%

celedhring

I think I have seen this phenomenon happen in other places, but the Catalan government just made a survey and Catalans, on average, believe the % of foreign-born people living in Catalonia is much higher than the real number (36% vs 21%).

Zanza

Maybe some people in Catalonia consider someone from Madrid a foreigner too.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2023, 03:40:32 AMI think I have seen this phenomenon happen in other places, but the Catalan government just made a survey and Catalans, on average, believe the % of foreign-born people living in Catalonia is much higher than the real number (36% vs 21%).

I've seen similar surveys in other places and that's a stat that people ALWAYS overestimate, and the less foreign born people there are in a place, the more it gets overestimated.

I took this on the fly from a quick google search, for instance:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 10, 2023, 03:58:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2023, 03:40:32 AMI think I have seen this phenomenon happen in other places, but the Catalan government just made a survey and Catalans, on average, believe the % of foreign-born people living in Catalonia is much higher than the real number (36% vs 21%).

I've seen similar surveys in other places and that's a stat that people ALWAYS overestimate, and the less foreign born people there are in a place, the more it gets overestimated.

I suspect most people automatically file nonwhite people they see as "foreign-born", despite most of them being second or third generation migrants. In the case of Catalonia, most foreign born people living here are actually white (EU citizens).

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on March 10, 2023, 03:50:40 AMMaybe some people in Catalonia consider someone from Madrid a foreigner too.  :P
This was my guess on reading his post. It does seem an obvious question with which to make a nationalist point.

But yes. People do tend to overrate this.
Wish that chart had actual %s on it. Interesting to see the UK is fairly close there- I'm sure I'd seen we guessed far worse.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on March 10, 2023, 04:27:26 AMWish that chart had actual %s on it. Interesting to see the UK is fairly close there- I'm sure I'd seen we guessed far worse.

There are more detailed studies out there, that one was the one I could find the quickest while being ilustrative.

Here's another graph on the topic, although the way it was prepared will have surely been different from the previous one:

Edit: It's not showing, the link to the graph is this: https://www.gisreportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Opinion-Will-immigration-sink-the-EU-1048x960.png

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on March 10, 2023, 04:27:26 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 10, 2023, 03:50:40 AMMaybe some people in Catalonia consider someone from Madrid a foreigner too.  :P
This was my guess on reading his post. It does seem an obvious question with which to make a nationalist point.

But yes. People do tend to overrate this.
Wish that chart had actual %s on it. Interesting to see the UK is fairly close there- I'm sure I'd seen we guessed far worse.

To be precise, the question specifically says "born outside of Spain".

celedhring

So, the second largest public hospital in Spain - Hospital Clínic in Barcelona - was ransomware'd a few days ago. They had to shut down completely for two days while they restored their systems, and now the hackers demand €4.5 million or they will release every patient's data. The regional government has already refused to pay (which is the right choice, for a number of reasons).

Hacking is becoming an increasingly large threat, and not necessarily because of malevolent state actors.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on March 10, 2023, 03:58:30 AM

Isn't that just math?  If you have 99% foreigners, there is a pretty low ceiling to how much you can overestimate percentage wise, whereas if you have 0% foreigners, then any overestimation error is infinite.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on March 10, 2023, 03:58:30 AMI've seen similar surveys in other places and that's a stat that people ALWAYS overestimate, and the less foreign born people there are in a place, the more it gets overestimated.

I was actually low for the US; I thought it was around 10%, but it's about 14%.  Where you live could also distort your view; based on the time I've spent in Toronto I would assume about half the Canadian population is foreign born (it's about 22%.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock