News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on October 12, 2022, 01:56:40 PMIt kind of makes sense... games are designed to emphasize the cool and satisfying parts of a job, while deemphasizing the tedious and annoying parts.
Yeah it's something I'd never really thought about that there would be people doing simulations of their jobs in their downtime. But the article just has some moments of a nicer internet/digital world which is lovely:
QuoteThere is a social and investigative appeal for Evans too. " I really enjoy driving routes and trains from around the world and learning about the operational differences. I have developed a particular fondness for German Railway through playing train sim and learning about the various safety systems and how things are done differently."

"Through my live streams I have been able to connect with other railway staff from the UK and abroad, and we are able to share ideas and learn about each other's railways and trains. It is very satisfying that as an English train driver I can jump into a German train and have a German train driver virtually instruct me through the game. I particularly enjoy driving routes and trains that I drive in real life, and comparing and contrasting the differences between the simulator and reality."

Jacob Spence's father was a master craftsman and housebuilder, and as a boy Jacob loved to visit his father on site, watching the heavy-equipment operators at work. Later, he worked with his dad, learning every aspect of the building trade and eventually operating those heavy machines himself. He now also works in education, researching simulation training platforms. And he plays Construction Simulator. "I recently beta-tested the upcoming release of the game. While operating a large Caterpillar 349F excavator, I took notice of realistic details like the heavy feel of the machine, real engine and hydraulic sounds, and realistic range and speed of machine component movements. I'm very excited to spend more time seeing how the earthwork system has evolved, as the excavation system Weltenbauer authored for Construction Simulator in 2015 continues to stand out to this day."

[...]

I ask Spence's colleague Josh Miller about the game – this is a guy who has built ocean jetties, backfilled Texas oilfield pits and worked at the world's largest single pit mine, Bingham Canyon. But the first time he ever saw a Liebherr drilling rig, which he would later work with in real life, was in Construction Simulator 2015. He too loves the multiplayer element of the game, working on sites with other fans. "The game allows for time and enjoyment," he says. "No deadlines, no angry boss, just enjoying the machines and friends. The community is a big part of it, working together as a team. Real dirt work is like this, in everyday situations [...] It's funny and we laugh. There is a lot to be said about laughter at work or in the game."

It's just very wholesome.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2022, 02:08:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 02:00:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 12, 2022, 01:56:40 PMIt kind of makes sense... games are designed to emphasize the cool and satisfying parts of a job, while deemphasizing the tedious and annoying parts.

I would play a courtroom simulator.

I assume you burned through the Ace Attorney games?

When I looked at the there didn't seem to be much of a "simulation" aspect to it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 02:30:45 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2022, 02:08:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 02:00:36 PM

I would play a courtroom simulator.

I assume you burned through the Ace Attorney games?

When I looked at the there didn't seem to be much of a "simulation" aspect to it.

:rolleyes: "Ackshually, some tiny legal detail isn't fully implemented, so 'simulation' is not a title it should be granted."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Ackshually, LegalEagle looked at Phoenix Wright a few years ago. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2022, 02:35:22 PM:rolleyes: "Ackshually, some tiny legal detail isn't fully implemented, so 'simulation' is not a title it should be granted."

I mostly can't stand to watch legal dramas.  It's not a matter of not getting tiny details right, but hardly getting any of the big points right.

The one legal drama that gets widely praised as "getting it right" is My Cousin Vinny.  It gets some details wrong (including Joe Pesci would never be allowed to run that trial in Alabama), but it gets so many right it's a very enjoyable movie to watch.

The Larch

Talking about law (and Legal Eagle has done videos on it), Alex Jones has been fined almost a billion dollars for his lies about the Sandy Hook mass shooting.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on October 12, 2022, 03:23:16 PMTalking about law (and Legal Eagle has done videos on it), Alex Jones has been fined almost a billion dollars for his lies about the Sandy Hook mass shooting.

:lawnerd:

It's not a fine, which would be payable to the government.  It's a civil judgment in favour of this group of Sandy Hook parents.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 03:39:45 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 12, 2022, 03:23:16 PMTalking about law (and Legal Eagle has done videos on it), Alex Jones has been fined almost a billion dollars for his lies about the Sandy Hook mass shooting.

:lawnerd:

It's not a fine, which would be payable to the government.  It's a civil judgment in favour of this group of Sandy Hook parents.

I was talking off the top of my head, sorry for not employing the proper terminology.  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 02:57:32 PMI mostly can't stand to watch legal dramas.  It's not a matter of not getting tiny details right, but hardly getting any of the big points right.

The one legal drama that gets widely praised as "getting it right" is My Cousin Vinny.  It gets some details wrong (including Joe Pesci would never be allowed to run that trial in Alabama), but it gets so many right it's a very enjoyable movie to watch.

What are your thoughts on Law and Order?

My one beef with Vinny is that the final dramatic scene in which Marisa Tomei talks about the differential and the suspension relies on Pesci already knowing the answer to the question.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2022, 06:50:12 PMMy one beef with Vinny is that the final dramatic scene in which Marisa Tomei talks about the differential and the suspension relies on Pesci already knowing the answer to the question.

Well... yeah.  Lawyers don't ask questions of their witnesses in court without knowing the answers they will get.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 12, 2022, 10:02:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2022, 06:50:12 PMMy one beef with Vinny is that the final dramatic scene in which Marisa Tomei talks about the differential and the suspension relies on Pesci already knowing the answer to the question.

Well... yeah.  Lawyers don't ask questions of their witnesses in court without knowing the answers they will get.

I gotta agree with grumbles on this one.  While I do ask questions I don't know the answers to (because of the unique role of the prosecutor), in this case Joe Pesci knew the answer.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 12, 2022, 10:02:42 PM

Yeah the Lawyers are there trying to get the witness to say what they want him or her to say, they already know what the answer is or rather what they expect and want it to be. Though it is funny whenever they screw it up and the witness gives a surprise answer they weren't expecting. The momentary look of panic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 02:57:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2022, 02:35:22 PM:rolleyes: "Ackshually, some tiny legal detail isn't fully implemented, so 'simulation' is not a title it should be granted."

I mostly can't stand to watch legal dramas.  It's not a matter of not getting tiny details right, but hardly getting any of the big points right.

Amusing. It always seems to be the less-realistic silly films that experts in the field say actually get it right.
See also A Knights Tale and medieval era historians.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I worked once in a legal drama and one of the mandates from the network was "make it realistic". We ended up cutting out most of the actual courtroom scenes because of how boring they were.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2022, 03:17:15 AMI worked once in a legal drama and one of the mandates from the network was "make it realistic". We ended up cutting out most of the actual courtroom scenes because of how boring they were.  :P

I guess this realistically depicts you at work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_AmdvxbPT8
██████
██████
██████