News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

She looks great and she gets to dust the marble floor with her train.......what a woman  :cool:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 27, 2020, 06:16:53 AM
She looks great and she gets to dust the marble floor with her train.......what a woman  :cool:
I've got a real soft spot for that generation of British stars who had the dignity to actually go and live in Monte Carlo to evade their taxes - Dame Shirley, Joan Collins, Roger Moore etc.

So much better than setting up a grubby off-shore company in the Isle of Man :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2020, 06:43:47 AM

I've got a real soft spot for that generation of British stars who had the dignity to actually go and live in Monte Carlo to evade their taxes - Dame Shirley, Joan Collins, Roger Moore etc.

So much better than setting up a grubby off-shore company in the Isle of Man :lol:

:lol:

The Brain

It always comes back to the Isle of Man with you, doesn't it? Maybe they like the TT?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2020, 06:43:47 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 27, 2020, 06:16:53 AM

True.
At least they're 'inconveniencing' themselves to evade tax in an obvious and acceptable way; don't live in the UK, don't pay taxes here.
All this stuff with off shore companies owning bits of other companies and all that nonsense just for one person's wealth...bleh.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

They also had to pay a ridiculously high top rate, 95% IIRC, back in the day....so a lot of people didn't blame them. The current generation of rich are avoiding/evading 40%; a very different matter.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on October 24, 2020, 01:45:53 AM
I just learned that a retirement home here in Vienna have added "home brewing" to their leisure activities. They produce ca. 50 liters of beer per week which the residents can have with their lunch, and any excess is sold through their online shop. :cheers: :beer:

That's awesome.  Wonder if they have to have a brewing license to sell it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Folding at home update.  57,860,333 total thingies folded I guess that means and ranked 21,361 out of 12,762,769 contributors.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2020, 07:07:21 AM
True.
At least they're 'inconveniencing' themselves to evade tax in an obvious and acceptable way; don't live in the UK, don't pay taxes here.
All this stuff with off shore companies owning bits of other companies and all that nonsense just for one person's wealth...bleh.
Yeah.

I sort of feel the same way with Swiss banking. If you need shady banking to hid your misgotten gains, you should have to go to a non-descript building in Zurich to do it. If you want the convenience of modern banking, then you should use a normal, transparent bank <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Transparents are a whole different discussion I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

https://dutchreview.com/news/break-in-at-escape-room-thieves-crack-safe-but-find-only-riddles/

Last week, Escape Room Mysterium in Utrecht was broken into, but the thieves didn't seem to be the sharpest tools in the box.
The perpetrators spent a considerable amount of time breaking into an antique safe, which was merely a part of the escape room. After battling with it for a while, they finally opened it, even though the key was hidden around the corner. When they cracked it open they found only riddles and clues, reports DUIC.

The thieves did walk away with cash (10€), a camera (€400), candy and soft drinks.
Anna-Maria Giannattasio, the owner of the escape room, says this is not the first burglary they've had to deal with. Vandalism has also been a recurring issue. "It is especially annoying that we have to deal with these kinds of matters. Such cowardly action in difficult COVID times will only bring us destruction and sorrow," she says.

:)
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2020, 12:08:20 PM
https://dutchreview.com/news/break-in-at-escape-room-thieves-crack-safe-but-find-only-riddles/

Last week, Escape Room Mysterium in Utrecht was broken into, but the thieves didn't seem to be the sharpest tools in the box.
The perpetrators spent a considerable amount of time breaking into an antique safe, which was merely a part of the escape room. After battling with it for a while, they finally opened it, even though the key was hidden around the corner. When they cracked it open they found only riddles and clues, reports DUIC.

The thieves did walk away with cash (10€), a camera (€400), candy and soft drinks.
Anna-Maria Giannattasio, the owner of the escape room, says this is not the first burglary they've had to deal with. Vandalism has also been a recurring issue. "It is especially annoying that we have to deal with these kinds of matters. Such cowardly action in difficult COVID times will only bring us destruction and sorrow," she says.

:)

Heh, this happened within walking distance from me and I have to find out on Languish?

Josquius

:lol:
The 21st century right there.

—--------

I realised something odd today.
You all remember The Darkness right?
British band, "I believe in a thing called love", "Growing on Me". Cheezy 80s style glam hair metal cheese of the early 2000s...

Well....the retro 80s bands they were paying homage to.... Are as far gone to them at the time as The Darkness are to us today.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I've been following the NXIVM story for a while and still just don't understand it. I can normally get that a cult has some sort of beliefs or other that reinforce the leaders' power but this one is, from what I understand, a pyramid-selling scheme with the leaders acting like cult leaders which I just find kind of crazy that it had that power. I don't understand.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I bought a new cell phone today.  While I was in the cell phone shop a customer came in to complain about... something.  I don't know what the hell he was on about, something about needing bills as a form of identification.  He was a bit of a saucy fellow and became quite angry.  He was shouting and cursing and the store clerks threw him out and threatened to call the police.  The irate customer was black and the two clerks were white... In the middle of this was me wishing I could be anywhere else but in that store.  I stood there like a gormless idiot wondering if I should just fake a heart attack and then play dead.  I was totally gormless, lacking gorm in any shape or form.  Bereft of all gorm.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017