Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2020, 03:03:22 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2020, 10:44:05 AM
I've covered before that my grandmother died due to abortion being illegal in the UK.
So fuck the anti abortion scum. There's a special place in hell waiting for them.

There are all kind of anecdotes you can tell on both sides.

I think I mentioned my identical twin Down syndrome nephews.  When my sister-in-law was pregnant it was suggested, or even strongly suggested, that she abort one or both babies.  They're both 5 now and adorable.

Both sides?  Oh, you mean the evangelical right who doesn't mind if women die? 

Your example is a very good example of prochoice laws in effect.  Your sister in law could choose what to do.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2020, 03:33:33 PM
Apparently in some European countries the abortion rate for fetuses found to have Down Syndrome exceeds 90%.  In Denmark it's 98%.  It's almost genocide.

Almost. If they waited a few months.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2020, 03:52:26 PM
Apparently in some European countries the abortion rate for fetuses found to have Down Syndrome exceeds 90%.  In Denmark it's 98%.  It's almost genocide.

What would you call it if people were selectively aborting for hair colour?  Or height?  Or gender?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Exactly that. No special word.

And don't forget here that downs syndrome is one of the most benign of possible conditions that get screened for. There's far worse stuff out there. Conditions that are incredibly dangerous for the woman and mean instant death for any baby that develops.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2020, 03:54:21 PM

What would you call it if people were selectively aborting for hair colour?  Or height?  Or gender?

The same thing I think about this. Terrible and sad.

Not genocide though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I just learned that a retirement home here in Vienna have added "home brewing" to their leisure activities. They produce ca. 50 liters of beer per week which the residents can have with their lunch, and any excess is sold through their online shop. :cheers: :beer:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2020, 03:54:21 PM

They certainly select for gender in China and India; which is leading to big problems. The progressives over at the Guardian don't like this (it is females that are aborted of course), but then they have the problem of explaining why it is ok to abort Down's syndrome people and not females without disrespecting people with Down's syndrome.

The Brain

If it's legal to have an abortion then I don't care what people base their decision on. I cannot see me being in a better position to judge whether or not they should have the abortion.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Selecting for gender being such a problem is down to the macro effects rather than any one particular family deciding the would rather have a son.

One thing I learned not too long ago was about the way fertility clinics work. They go through far more fertilised eggs than abortion clinics ever do. Yet you never hear complaints about them.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2020, 03:25:10 AM
If it's legal to have an abortion then I don't care what people base their decision on. I cannot see me being in a better position to judge whether or not they should have the abortion.

Silly you. Women not being able to make responsible decisions is at the crust of people's opposition to abortion.

mongers

RIP BST, it was nice knowing you.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Mildly obsessed by Dame Shirley Bassey's take on 2020, from a photoshoot for her new album:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch