Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2020, 06:23:02 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2020, 05:58:52 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 28, 2020, 04:07:39 AM
Yeah, wonder why so many want to dress sexy instead of comfortable in this scenario.

I agree it's counterintuitive.  Men certainly wouldn't jump at the chance to get all sexied up if they were free from women.

But generally society doesn't put a lot of pressure on men to look good. Beauty and fashion are skewed heavily toward female customers.

Except in Italy.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on September 28, 2020, 06:31:18 AM
Yeah, wonder why so many want to dress sexy instead of comfortable in this scenario.

I agree it's counterintuitive.  Men certainly wouldn't jump at the chance to get all sexied up if they were free from women.

But generally society doesn't put a lot of pressure on men to look good. Beauty and fashion are skewed heavily toward female customers.

Except in Italy.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I think this is true generally, but I think there has been a shift in younger generations and I think there is a lot more pressure on young men than when I grew up. I sort of hoped things would go the other way and there'd be less pressure on girls, but I think manufacturers of products just noticed that they could also shift stuff to young men :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

You know what's monstrous? Convincing young girls that having eyebrows like Zorba the Greek is the only way to look attractive. Its atrociously ugly.

Admiral Yi

I agree that society puts pressure on women to look good, but that doesn't really explain why, when half of society is removed, they wish to increase their sexiness.

I think a more reasonable explanation is that it's an expression of freedom from catcalls and the like.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2020, 06:40:31 AM
I agree that society puts pressure on women to look good, but that doesn't really explain why, when half of society is removed, they wish to increase their sexiness.

I think a more reasonable explanation is that it's an expression of freedom from catcalls and the like.

Well, yes. That's the point they would be free from harassment and violence from men.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2020, 06:34:52 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 28, 2020, 06:31:18 AM

Except in Italy.

:hmm:

Sorry, jumped into it.  :sleep:

Seriously, I've never seen men as dressed up for the night as in Italy. The first nights I went out there I felt really weird in the subway.

Josquius

Thats the stereotype but I have to say I've never met Italians like that. Far more people in the UK.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Fashion is a waste of time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 28, 2020, 08:38:27 AM
Men should go back to dressing like this:

https://youtu.be/fpS4B5oMhgo  :bowler: :bowler:

If I have a servant to help dress me than sure :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 28, 2020, 08:38:27 AM
Men should go back to dressing like this:

https://youtu.be/fpS4B5oMhgo  :bowler: :bowler:

I think we can thank heavens for whoever popularized the 3-piece suit in the XIXth century, preventing frock coats, wigs, and breeches from eventually becoming the gentleman's fashion of today  :lol:

The Brain

Yeah heaven forbid we get to ogle calves today. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

We have indoor heating & isolation, no need for so many layers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2020, 09:06:08 AM
We have indoor heating & isolation, no need more so many layers.

I mean we didn't have those things in the French Revolution when the new men's clothes came along and just sort of stayed with slight adjustments over the years.

And I presume you meant insulation not isolation :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."