Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Really sorry to hear that, V. Take your time, we'll be here for you. :console:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2020, 01:20:59 PM
Hey Languish I just wanted to let you know my family has just had a personal tragedy and my 3 month old nephew passed away last night suddenly. I will probably be away for awhile. Love you guys.

Just read this; so sorry to hear of this terrible tragedy, life can be so awful sometimes  :(

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

While the English language has about twice as many words as Spanish; Spanish seems to have a lot more words describing feelings or emotions, including some very specific ones.  Yesterday I came across cainita which is derived from the biblical Cain and translates to something like "Brotherly hatred."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

What if I hate my sister?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on July 07, 2020, 12:11:18 PM
While the English language has about twice as many words as Spanish; Spanish seems to have a lot more words describing feelings or emotions, including some very specific ones.  Yesterday I came across cainita which is derived from the biblical Cain and translates to something like "Brotherly hatred."

It's more "hatred between kin", and "kin" can be interpreted very expansively when using the phrase.

One of my favorite Spanish phrases for hate is odio africano (African hatred) which specifically refers to hatred like the one Hannibal felt for Rome.  :D

Razgovory

Kittens are tiring.  My new cats kept me up most of last night.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2020, 12:20:52 PM

Yeah, those little assholes can sleep away most of the day, then want to play at night.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2020, 12:19:48 PM

It's more "hatred between kin", and "kin" can be interpreted very expansively when using the phrase.

One of my favorite Spanish phrases for hate is odio africano (African hatred) which specifically refers to hatred like the one Hannibal felt for Rome.  :D

I hate you so much I would drive an elephant across mountains just for the chance to slap you with their trunk.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2020, 12:19:48 PM

Yeah, I saw the Real Academia dictionary defined it more like that.  I still prefer "Brotherly hatred" (from Collins translating dictionary.)

QuoteOne of my favorite Spanish phrases for hate is odio africano (African hatred) which specifically refers to hatred like the one Hannibal felt for Rome.  :D

:lol:  That's great.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Do modern Spaniards feel any affinity for Hannibal?  "Our guy?"

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2020, 03:57:25 PM
Do modern Spaniards feel any affinity for Hannibal?  "Our guy?"

Maybe in Cartagena (founded by Hasdrubal, after all), but not really in the rest of the country.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2020, 01:20:59 PM
Hey Languish I just wanted to let you know my family has just had a personal tragedy and my 3 month old nephew passed away last night suddenly. I will probably be away for awhile. Love you guys.

I'm so sorry, Valmy. :(

You all are in my thoughts.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2020, 12:20:52 PM

Indeed.

And the young stray that's recently moved in here, really likes to be entertained between 2-4am, before falling asleep as dawn breaks.  <_< :wub:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"