The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2020, 09:10:06 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2020, 06:36:11 AM

Quote from: Tamas on June 03, 2020, 04:39:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2020, 04:38:24 AM
Yo, cel, Paradox is opening a studio in Barcelona. Johan will lead the studio, and apparently they'll focus on EU4, with more to follow. :D

Is that promotion, or exile? :P

Maybe it's because they will be closer to ubik, who still holds the rights to all Paradox game engines.

That's the dude that snapped and got but in the nuthouse by his family, right?

That's the chap, yes.

Duque de Bragança

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2020, 06:36:11 AM

Quote from: Tamas on June 03, 2020, 04:39:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2020, 04:38:24 AM
Yo, cel, Paradox is opening a studio in Barcelona. Johan will lead the studio, and apparently they'll focus on EU4, with more to follow. :D

Is that promotion, or exile? :P

Maybe it's because they will be closer to ubik, who still holds the rights to all Paradox game engines.

Actually, it seems like they will be signing a trade union agreement with their Swedish employees tomorrow.  :D But I am sure that has nothing to do with outsourcing their grand strategy games to Spain.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

So just found this oral history project of the BBC and University of Sussex which is really, really interesting:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/100-voices

For Languish folks I think some of the stuff in WW2 or Cold War sections would be particularly interesting. People, nation and Empire is also very interesting and, for me, I kind of love the one on elections.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

So someone did an ECW political compass :o :wub:
https://www.gotoquiz.com/political_compass_english_civil_war_edition

Unsurprisingly:
QuotePolitical compass: English civil war edition
Your Result: Leveller
90%

You start off as a firm supporter of Parliament against the king and the ancient rights of freeborn Englishmen, so much so that you fight as part of the new model army. The ferment of civil war and the maturing of the printing press only radicalises you and you begin agitating for mad ideas like freedom of conscience, universal male suffrage, and some form of written constitution. You soon come to view the new commonwealth as just as tyrannical as the rule of Charles I. In fact despite your radicalism you probably appose the trial and execution of Charles I as illegal. Examples John Lilburne, Thomas Rainsborough, & Richard Overton

60% Roundhead Independent
37% Army Grandee
22% Roundhead Presbyterian
12% Recanting Parliamentarian
0% Constitutional Royalist
0% Arch Royalist
0% Recanting Cavalier

Tho, I do not oppose the trial and execution of Charles I as illegal.

Edit: Not quite as fun as the Queen Anne edition, but politics was less fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

QuotePolitical compass: English civil war edition

Your Result: Constitutional Royalist

88%

result

You are a firm supporter of the monarchy but believe there are limits to the king's authority and that Parliament is an integral part of the English constitution. You thus sided with Parliament against the kind up until the Grand Remonstrance in late 1641 when you felt that parliament was overreaching itself. You are also a committed defender of the established church and it's Episcopalian structure. Examples: Edward Hyde and Marmaduke Langdale

76% Recanting Cavalier
75% Recanting Parliamentarian
39% Army Grandee
32% Roundhead Presbyterian
32% Roundhead Independent
26% Arch Royalist
1% Leveller

I'm a bit amused as to how I can be equally a recanting Cavalier and a recanting Parliamentarian. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

I got:

QuoteYour Result: Roundhead Independent

84%
result
You believe in liberty of conscience (well not for Catholics of course), you don't see why the King or indeed Parliament for that matter should have the right to impose its view of correct worship on you and your congregation. To you it seems the god fearing English colonists in the far away wilds of America have it about right. It's the proto-Catholicism of Archbishop Laud and Charles' continuing support for him which really gets your hackles up and Bishops in general are a no no for you. However you're no leveller and think that voting ought to be confined to propertied gentlemen only. You back Parliament against the king but then back the Army during Pride's purge. Examples: Henry Marten, Earl of Warwick, Henry Vane the Younger

I tried to answer more how I think I would have thought if I was from that time, rather than what I think in the 21st century.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

QuoteYour Result: Leveller
You start off as a firm supporter of Parliament against the king and the ancient rights of freeborn Englishmen, so much so that you fight as part of the new model army. The ferment of civil war and the maturing of the printing press only radicalises you and you begin agitating for mad ideas like freedom of conscience, universal male suffrage, and some form of written constitution. You soon come to view the new commonwealth as just as tyrannical as the rule of Charles I. In fact despite your radicalism you probably appose the trial and execution of Charles I as illegal. Examples John Lilburne, Thomas Rainsborough, & Richard Overton

Result Breakdown:
78% Leveller
70% Roundhead Independent
64% Roundhead Presbyterian
42% Constitutional Royalist
40% Army Grandee
30% Recanting Cavalier
28% Recanting Parliamentarian
24% Arch Royalist

I really liked the "the army must get paid" guy though, but I couldn't vote for his positions. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2020, 01:36:14 PM
I really liked the "the army must get paid" guy though, but I couldn't vote for his positions. :)

I couldn't resist :blush:

Political compass: English civil war edition
Your Result: Army Grandee

You start out as firm supporters of the rights of Parliament, leading their army to victory over the forces of the despotic King, not once but twice. But then remember that you like being paid, or rather your soldiers do and you'd rather not face an uprising in the ranks (especially given how popular those pesky Levellers are among the rank and file) so you think it's best if the army takes over running the country until Parliament can get its house in order. Examples: Thomas Fairfax, Oliver Cromwell, Henry Ireton.

86% Roundhead Independent

43% Recanting Cavalier

42% Recanting Parliamentarian

32% Leveller

10% Roundhead Presbyterian

7% Constitutional Royalist
0% Arch Royalist
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

QuoteYour Result: Leveller 85%

57%Roundhead Independent
34%Army Grandee
25%Roundhead Presbyterian
8%Recanting Parliamentarian
0%Constitutional Royalist
0%Arch Royalist
0%Recanting Cavalier
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Leveller, of course, with Roundhead Independent following at a certain distance and the rest quite far.

Please somebody get Recanting Cavalier so I can read what it says about them.  :lol: