News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Iormlund

People in their 20s in Spain have to spend 95% of their average wages to be able to live on their own. Over 80% still live with their parents.

Razgovory

I have become a true Yankee.  I'm eating a pie for breakfast.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on December 18, 2019, 06:52:50 AM
People in their 20s in Spain have to spend 95% of their average wages to be able to live on their own. Over 80% still live with their parents.

Surprising.
Expected for the major cities but in the country too?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2019, 06:54:01 AM

What kind of pie?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 18, 2019, 11:50:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2019, 06:54:01 AM

What kind of pie?

Better be apple pie!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on December 18, 2019, 11:44:22 AM

Surprising.

The whole world is in an asset bubble. There are places in Manila where the average home costs 80 times the average annual wage. The 1% rule has become a joke. Whole neighborhoods in major cities have gone to AirBNB and short term rentals for tourists because the landlords can't make a profit renting normally. Real estate just costs too much.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/29/the-airbnb-invasion-of-barcelona
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

:nelson:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on December 18, 2019, 11:44:22 AM

Surprising.

Well, outside Madrid and Barcelona the main problem is getting a decent job. There's a reason why most young people move there (same as London in the UK).

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

https://brilliantmaps.com/worst-world-map/

QuoteI've seen a lot of bad maps in my time, but the one above has to be among the worst. Vexillology or flag maps can be a beautiful thing when done right. The map above, on the other hand, is hilarious in its randomness.

Allegedly, the map was found in reddit user Capntallon's school planner from "a small school in Iowa." Reddit user Stephen1986UK quickly tracked down the source to an althistory wikia page.

Titled 'A World of Difference' the map imagines a whole host of counterfactual changes to our world. In that context, the map is an interesting piece of fiction.

However, that then raises the even more troubling question about how anyone could seriously take this map as an accurate '2012 Political Map of The World.'

Maybe one of these books would help:

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, Grades 3 – 6
Flags of the World
Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free

What do you think of the map? Harmless mistake or portent of something fundamentally wrong in American education?

Source of the map: https://althistory.fandom.com/wiki/A_World_of_Difference
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Surely we control more than just Mexico and Canada?  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

It seems Trump managed to buy Greenland after all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on December 19, 2019, 12:12:57 PM
It seems Trump managed to buy Greenland after all.

And Iceland was thrown in as a signing bonus.