News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Why do they like incandescent bulbs? They create heat, make worse quality light and you need to replace them more often. I could see preferring them over CFLs but LEDs? That is insane and makes no sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 14, 2019, 04:13:53 AM
Read an article in Stars & Stripes about a Marine tacking a couple teens fighting at a recruiting event (trying to break up the fight), with an actual quote from his chain of command; "the Marine Corp does not condone violence".  ^_^

NO FIGHTING IN THE WAR ROOM!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2019, 10:07:49 AM
Why do they like incandescent bulbs? They create heat, make worse quality light and you need to replace them more often. I could see preferring them over CFLs but LEDs? That is insane and makes no sense.

You seem to be struggling to get that this is never about the inherent quality of any of these policies, or things, or ideas, but about the fact that the Evil, Stupid, Traitorous Others are for it, and therefore, all that is Good, Righteous, Christian, Us, must be for it. This is all the coherence that is needed.

I keep going back to that sentence I read I can't remember when, that our political moment is all about signifiers divorced from signified.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 14, 2019, 10:45:06 AM
I keep going back to that sentence I read I can't remember when, that our political moment is all about signifiers divorced from signified.
It's insane and contagious.

But also this sentence really shows why post-modern theory is not to blame here. I don't even know how we'd explain all this without it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2019, 01:03:06 PM
Liberals hate steak?

Vegans, who are apparently all liberals.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 14, 2019, 02:16:40 PM
To be fair, most are.

I doubt it.

But in any case I meant the reverse. Apparently all liberals are vegans.

Razgovory

I wonder if she was just trolling when added the name of a Neo-Nazi to the list of silence voices on the right.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2019, 03:50:45 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 14, 2019, 02:16:40 PM
To be fair, most are.

I doubt it.

Well, I meant in the West. Obviously you wouldn't call a BJP supporter a "liberal".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2019, 10:07:49 AM

The heat part is pretty useful around here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Had to put my cat to sleep.  She had kidney failure and as a result she was starving to death.  We didn't notice because we were paying attention to the other cat who has cancer.  My cat lived to the age of 17.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Sorry to hear that Raz   :(

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.