Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2019, 09:24:00 AM
Just finished a 2 hour bike ride.
Damn my legs are knackered.
Experienced major gear trouble with my bike along the way which meant for most of it I was pretty stuck in medium-high gear. My old bike also had similar troubles. I suspect the problem is me. There must be something you're meant to do when switching gears that I have not been doing :hmm:

To add to the good advice from Liep, I'd say the problem isn't so much you as probably your lack of care for the bike? :unsure:

If clearing and oil/lubing the chain/gears doesn't work, take it to a local bike shop and get them to sort it out, it'll make a big difference on your rides in terms of comfort, being in the right gear and your confidence in the bike. A small money outlay for positive feelings.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Hey Liep, how was your bike trip around Portugal? Highlights?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 09:45:37 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2019, 09:35:45 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 09:27:00 AM
Experienced major gear trouble with my bike along the way which meant for most of it I was pretty stuck in medium-high gear. My old bike also had similar troubles. I suspect the problem is me. There must be something you're meant to do when switching gears that I have not been doing :hmm:

Hub gears or derailleur?

Googling what these things are... derailleur I think.

Soapy water, rinse, lube. Can you go to higher than medium high or is it stuck on one cog?

Some chain tightening may also be in order.  Mongers' suggestion of getting a bike mechanic to look at is a good one.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2019, 11:15:15 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 09:45:37 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2019, 09:35:45 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 09:27:00 AM

Hub gears or derailleur?

Googling what these things are... derailleur I think.

Soapy water, rinse, lube. Can you go to higher than medium high or is it stuck on one cog?

Some chain tightening may also be in order.  Mongers' suggestion of getting a bike mechanic to look at is a good one.

That's a very good point CC, that and an assessment of chain/gear wear also might be best left to a mechanic for people not confident with bikes.

Josquius

If the chain comes off, and you put it back on at 3/3 but your gears are set to 1/5 then what happens?

My theory for what was wrong is that I have something set on my gear controls which is out of line with where the chain is?
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2019, 02:53:48 PM
If the chain comes off, and you put it back on at 3/3 but your gears are set to 1/5 then what happens?

My theory for what was wrong is that I have something set on my gear controls which is out of line with where the chain is?

If the gear is set correctly the chain would automatically go to the right cog when you start pedaling because it's depended on the cable tension set in the gear control. You might need to go to a shop. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2019, 10:40:19 AM

Great, had good weather with maybe a bit too much wind. Highlight of the trip was definitely the Atlantic ocean coast with the brilliant views and very relaxed and welcoming locals. I'm very keen on returning and maybe hiking the Fisherman's trail and spending a bit more time in the region as I liked the cuisine too with fresh and cheap fish.

I'm considering hiking because the short steep inclines was murderous when biking. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

So what's up with Rodrigo Duerte saying he used to be gay?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 03:52:06 PM

Great, had good weather with maybe a bit too much wind. Highlight of the trip was definitely the Atlantic ocean coast with the brilliant views and very relaxed and welcoming locals. I'm very keen on returning and maybe hiking the Fisherman's trail and spending a bit more time in the region as I liked the cuisine too with fresh and cheap fish.

I'm considering hiking because the short steep inclines was murderous when biking. :P

:cool:

Sounds like a marvellous journey.

And a more leisurely hiking return is a good idea.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2019, 03:54:38 PM
So what's up with Rodrigo Duerte saying he used to be gay?

There's hope for you!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 03:52:06 PM

Happy to hear that you had a good time! You'll focus in the southern coast next time, then?

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on June 03, 2019, 05:16:05 AM

Happy to hear that you had a good time! You'll focus in the southern coast next time, then?

Might do that 9 day hiking trail from Sines at some point. But first I want to see northern Portugal and Galicia, maybe in September or next Spring.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on June 03, 2019, 05:20:49 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 03, 2019, 05:16:05 AM

Might do that 9 day hiking trail from Sines at some point. But first I want to see northern Portugal and Galicia, maybe in September or next Spring.

Good to hear! Let me know about your plans. :cheers:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

In terms of hiking, Madeira is also worth a look. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.