News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 22, 2019, 12:28:47 PM

Yeah, I did lot of travelling in my younger years with only a back back. :)

edit: come to think of it Mrs. CC and I had a bit of a fight over whether we should travel with luggage on our first trip together, I was still of the view that a backpack was fine.

Some trips I still travel with just a backpack.

We never need to grow up. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on April 22, 2019, 12:32:18 PM
Some trips I still travel with just a backpack.

We never need to grow up. :)

I still get the urge to grab the old pack and just go on a walk about for a while.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2019, 11:48:11 AM
Egypt and Tunisia are/were also very popular vacation destinations with plenty of club hotels.

Mexico and the Caribbean countries are/were also very popular vacation destinations with plenty of club hotels.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 22, 2019, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2019, 11:22:07 AM

Not quite comparable though. Europe is far far more diverse.

20 years ago yeah...it is homogenizing quickly. There are more languages spoken, but if you put that aside...Manhattan, West Texas, Southern Cali, and Nome, Alaska are quite diverse too.

QuoteYou may be surprised at how many Europeans have left Europe though. Turkey is pretty popular.

More than 60%? Also, you can visit Turkey without leaving Europe.

Yes...let's just put a language barrier aside...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2019, 12:48:53 PM

20 years ago yeah...it is homogenizing quickly. There are more languages spoken, but if you put that aside...Manhattan, West Texas, Southern Cali, and Nome, Alaska are quite diverse too.

QuoteYou may be surprised at how many Europeans have left Europe though. Turkey is pretty popular.

More than 60%? Also, you can visit Turkey without leaving Europe.

Yes...let's just put a language barrier aside...

Why? A lot of hotels will have German/English language staff. I just checked - I can book 2 weeks all inclusive (including flight) in summer in a 4* hotel for around EUR 600.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2019, 05:09:25 AM
Only found it interesting and I think it has less to do with America being a large country and more with Americans having very little vacation time and many living paycheck to paycheck.

Also found statistics that about a third of Germans have their main vacation in Germany each year and about 15-20% are too poor for vacations.

Apparently about a third of EU citizens never left their home country. Cannot access the source for that though.

I think poverty is a big part of it.  I imagine that a significant number of people who have left the country live within 200 miles of the Canadian or Mexican border.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Seemed like most people I knew growing up in West Virginia had only been as far as Ohio or North Carolina. If you were middle class you vacationed at Myrtle Beach, SC and that was considered a big deal. Economics played into that bigly.

But a fair number of Americans with the means to travel abroad just have zero desire to do so. My brother and his wife are like that and it drives me crazy. Would do both of them a lot of good.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

My college dorm mate from decades ago was born in South Dakota, moved to Wyoming as a kid.  In the following decades he has been to Montana, Utah, Colorado, and once flew to Florida for Disney World.

That is it as far as I know.  He makes enough money, he is university educated, he loves talking about art, buildings, wildlife...he is just a stick in the mud.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

I like traveling, but I see no reason to encourage people to travel. Mass tourism is a plague.

Aside from that, with modern media and the internet, it is less important than ever to travel in order to get new perspectives.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Speaking as someone who's lived in other European countries,  the language barrier is huge.

As for the rest, Northerners tend to be on the dull side (while sober), southerners boisterous (always) and Easterners less progressive, but that's pretty much it.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on April 22, 2019, 03:17:44 PM
I like traveling, but I see no reason to encourage people to travel. Mass tourism is a plague.

Aside from that, with modern media and the internet, it is less important than ever to travel in order to get new perspectives.

I see what you did there.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

On the other hand, 75% of Median income, I.e. where you drop below middle class, is about 24k USD according to this, which is roughly what the median is in the big group of European countries that sits above the trend.

It is an interesting consideration whether being slightly below middle class in America might be better than being middle class in most of Europe.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2019, 12:05:48 PM
On the other hand, 75% of Median income, I.e. where you drop below middle class, is about 24k USD according to this, which is roughly what the median is in the big group of European countries that sits above the trend.

It is an interesting consideration whether being slightly below middle class in America might be better than being middle class in most of Europe.

A lot in the answer to that question will depend on things like health insurance, cost of education or daycare.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2019, 12:05:48 PM

Earn 30k in the UK and you can have a pretty decent life. That's a good solid working class salary.
Earn 30k in Switzerland and you're on sub minimum wage struggling to survive poverty wages.
Even between cities in the UK there's a huge difference let alone countries.
██████
██████
██████