News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2018, 10:34:33 AM
So I keep getting these phone calls, with numbers originating from all over the world.  It's a recording saying that they are the Canada Revenue Agency, that there is a warrant for your arrest, and to please call them at a set number.

Now its obviously a scam - that's not how CRA, or arrest warrants, work.  Plus the fact they don't even use your own name is a kind of a hint.  But I keep getting these calls.  As does my wife.  And a lot of other people in Canada.  There've even been news reports about thesee scammers - apparently they're based in India.

My question - do they just target Canadians?  Or do they try this is other countries too?

I got one of those a few years back claiming to be the IRS.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

So I keep getting these phone calls, with numbers originating from all over the world.  It's a recording saying that they are the Canada Revenue Agency, that there is a warrant for your arrest, and to please call them at a set number.

Now its obviously a scam - that's not how CRA, or arrest warrants, work.  Plus the fact they don't even use your own name is a kind of a hint.  But I keep getting these calls.  As does my wife.  And a lot of other people in Canada.  There've even been news reports about thesee scammers - apparently they're based in India.

My question - do they just target Canadians?  Or do they try this is other countries too?

My father in law fell for those scams - twice - in one year.  He is reflexively responsive to someone claiming to be from the government.  Also, he is slowing down a bit mentally.  We have since given him a new computer (he had given them complete access to his old computer); changed all his bank accounts, credit cards, and my wife now needs to approve all transactions out of his new accounts over a certain amount. 

dps

I got 3 of those calls in 2 days last week, though given that I'm an American, they claimed to be IRS.

Razgovory

Whitey Bulger, American mobster and former head of the "Winter Hill" gang, has been murdered.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The one Johnny Depp played in that movie, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2018, 10:45:25 AM

I got one of those a few years back claiming to be the IRS.

I've gotten a couple from the IRS too, cause they scammers got confused.

much like BB I get tons of these calls. starting in mid april to around august. it's annoying.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 30, 2018, 04:15:14 PM
The one Johnny Depp played in that movie, right?

Yeah, and the one who inspired Jack Nicholson's character from The Departed.

Bludgeoned to death in his jail cell, cinematic and sordid to the end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on October 30, 2018, 05:48:20 PM

I thought The Departed was based on a Hong Kong movie.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2018, 05:54:49 PM

Yes, it was based on/a remake of Infernal Affairs, a HK movie, but the Nicholson character was not as prominent on it as it was in The Departed, and its portrayal was based on Bulger.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2018, 04:11:40 PM
Whitey Bulger, American mobster and former head of the "Winter Hill" gang, has been murdered.

What a shame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2018, 11:56:57 AM
I got 3 of those calls in 2 days last week, though given that I'm an American, they claimed to be IRS.

I get those calls occasionally.  My sister got one of those calls and paid.  She's not exactly the brains of the family, though she is a bit better adjusted than the rest of us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

DHL claims they tried to deliver my package 20 minutes ago according to tracker.

Fucking liars.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

To make things worse, I accepted a delivery for my neighbor today, from a different service.

So I can now go and pick up my parcel this afternoon, and wait for my neighbor who's rarely home to pick up his whatever.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on October 30, 2018, 06:13:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2018, 05:54:49 PM

Yes, it was based on/a remake of Infernal Affairs, a HK movie, but the Nicholson character was not as prominent on it as it was in The Departed, and its portrayal was based on Bulger.

Let's be honest Nicholson was a bit shit in that one, and I liked the movie overall.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on October 31, 2018, 05:08:23 AM
DHL claims they tried to deliver my package 20 minutes ago according to tracker.

Fucking liars.

So it's not just me, my brother and other people. :mad: