The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Robert McNamara analyzes the Imperial assault on Hoth:

https://giant.gfycat.com/GaseousWarmheartedArgali.webm

(unfortunatley without sound)

:D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

The ban on the swastika in German video games has been lifted.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2018, 08:43:47 AM
The ban on the swastika in German video games has been lifted.

:cheers:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2018, 02:36:01 PM
Robert McNamara analyzes the Imperial assault on Hoth:

https://giant.gfycat.com/GaseousWarmheartedArgali.webm

(unfortunatley without sound)

I liked the original 2013 version better:https://www.wired.com/2013/02/battle-of-hoth/
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Jehovah Witnesses show up at my door and asked who controls the world.  I told them the international Brotherhood of Marionettists, Ventriloquists and Puppet Wranglers #506.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Your news is outdated. #782 led a successful coup three months ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 10, 2018, 12:06:42 PM

Must you always be a contrarian?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on August 10, 2018, 12:58:44 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 10, 2018, 12:06:42 PM

Must you always be a contrarian?

No!

Savonarola

This April the comic strip "Nancy" has gotten a new writer who goes by the pseudonym "Olivia Jaimes".  While it continues on in the distinctive style of Ernie Bushmiller and Nancy and Sluggo still dress like they're from the 1930s; the strip now uses gags dealing with modern technology and sometimes makes use of self-referential and self-conscious humor (meta-humor to the hipster, romantic irony to the lit major.)  I think it's funny; especially for a newspaper comic strip whose creator is dead:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

I find these frozen in time newspaper strips oddly fascinating. Our largest regional newspaper has been running Fred Basset since I've been alive. I've owned 4 different dogs in the interim.

mongers

Five men jailed for £20,000 Cwmbran biscuits theft
4 April 2016 

Five men who stole a trailer containing £20,000 of biscuits from a factory in Torfaen have been jailed.

The trailer was taken from Burton's Food, Cwmbran, on 17 June last year.

Cardiff Crown Court heard the men, from Cheshire and Liverpool, had abandoned the trailer, worth about £10,000, which was later found but the biscuits have not been recovered.

They all admitted theft-related charges and were given jail terms ranging from 44 to 16 months.

As the men were sentenced, one of them shouted "would you like a
biscuit?".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-35959365
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2014, 08:23:56 AM
I bought a raspberry pi.
its internet performance: dissapointing :(
Hope I can find some entertainment with it.

Bought one of the tiny Pi Zero W's today, rather interesting.

Didn't bother looking what leads/acessories I need before ordering, but luckily found everything by raiding phone and video camera boxes.

The Debian distro is nice, like the process of putting different OSs on different micro-sd cards.

Tomorrow I'll try out the Risc OS, haven't seen that in like 20+ years.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Never did find a use for mine given it was incapable of even basic Internet.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

And another one gone. Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart dies age 63, a biblical age for wrestlers from the 80s/90s.

Had his best run as one half of the Hart Foundation, was less successful as a singles wrestler.

—Stephen Jay Gould