News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Zimbabwean Democracy post Mugabe doesn't seem to be doing so well. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

You just do not recover from that sort of thing overnight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

The impacts of human actions on our home planet are now so large that many scientists are declaring a new phase of Earth's history. The old forces of nature that transformed Earth many millions of years ago, including meteorites and mega-volcanoes are joined by another: us. We have entered a new geological epoch, called the Anthropocene.
As scientists we agree that society has entered a dangerous new time. But what is to be done?

In our new book, The Human Planet, published on Thursday, we present a new view of how humans climbed down from the trees of Africa to become a geological superpower.

We argue that to avoid ever-larger environmental changes causing a societal collapse, we need to acknowledge the incredible power that modern society possesses and direct it towards a shift to a new type of society in the 21st Century.

Our influence is more profound than many of us realize.
Globally, human activities move more soil, rock and sediment each year than is transported by all other natural processes combined.

full article here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44389413
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

If only we remained at the hunter gatherer's population and technology level :( Only every 200 000th human would be alive and they would be struggling daily to survive until they die aged 35.

garbon

What's up with the 'Post-Capitalism?' label?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2018, 04:30:58 AM

I'd expect they imply it will go back to heavenly nice low levels after communism sets in, done properly by ubermensch this time around.,

Josquius

It's either that or the end of civilization.
The question is can we crack space before it becomes impossible.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 02, 2018, 04:49:08 AM

I'd expect they imply it will go back to heavenly nice low levels after communism sets in, done properly by ubermensch this time around.,

Oh, I finally looked at the article.

They think we should adopt universal basic income and that we should leave half of the earth for other species.

Tamas

Kate McKinnon raps in Hungarian, with shockingly good pronunciation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3UXHXVve3g

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2018, 05:04:37 AM

They think we should adopt universal basic income and that we should leave half of the earth for other species.

We already leave over half the earth to other species.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2018, 08:24:15 AM

Hey, I was just summarising what they said they wanted us to do to become a post-capitalist society.

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2018, 08:24:15 AM

You are ruining the self-flagellation* narrative. In the Christian world we need to have self-flagellation.

*-Climate change of course is a critical issue of our age, but maybe not enough to hate our existence as a species.

garbon

Did a little digging, here's what is being paraphrased in that article.

http://www.half-earthproject.org/what-we-do/

QuoteHuman beings are connected with all of life. The organisms that surround us have evolved over 3.8 billion years in an exquisite, careful balance that provides the foundation for our resilience. Species are inextricably entwined with our survival, and information about them is critical to support ecosystems effectively, yet we understand the identity and biology of only 2 of the 10 million species on Earth. Conservation efforts have slowed species loss by at least 20%, but fall short of stabilizing Earth's living environment. If we continue on this path, half of all known species will be gone by the end of the century.

There is a momentous moral decision confronting humanity today as we ponder how to care for our planet. Suitable habitat, crucial to nature's survival, is shrinking fast. Currently, about 15% of the global land surface and 3% of the global ocean surface are protected in nature reserves, but only if we conserve 50% or more can we protect the bulk of our planet's biodiversity. The time has come to achieve a sustainable coexistence with the rest of life and raise our conservation efforts to a new level.

Half-Earth offers a goal-oriented, emergency solution commensurate with the magnitude of the problem. Half-Earth is a call-to-action to conserve half of the land and sea for nature. If we conserve half our planet we can protect 85% of species and enter the safe zone.

So it is about making sure that we increase the amount that is notably set aside to be nature reserves.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2018, 01:05:50 PM
Zimbabwean Democracy post Mugabe doesn't seem to be doing so well. :(

He was removed by the old guard of his party. There was never much reason to expect the new leadership would be any better.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014