News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

150 years ago today

Started by Valmy, June 18, 2015, 10:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

On June 18th, 1865 the Yankee army of occupation victorious army of the Union came to crush states rights and impose law by bayonet oust the illegal rebel crew from government and liberate Texans from their property the crushing bonds of slavery.

And here is a photo of our famous oppressor liberator General Gordon Granger, the most famous New Yorker in Texas history.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 18, 2015, 11:00:17 AM
What a mess.

What could be messy about liberation and freedom?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Lettow77

More famous than Hank Hill?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 18, 2015, 11:09:56 AM

Well got me there (nice reference btw :P).

But the real point here is I get tommorow off to celebrate. I don't see any holidays to celebrate Hank Hills 150th birthday.

Admiral Yi

Texas has a public holiday for getting beaten?

derspiess

Nope, Hank is way famouser.

yes, I know that is Dale Gribble, aka Rusty Shackleford in the pic
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2015, 11:18:06 AM
Texas has a public holiday for getting beaten?

Yep. Well actually it is for the next day June 19th when said New Yorker issued his General Order No. 3 for the reconstruction of Texas:

QuoteThe people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.

So in that context you understand why we are celebrating our defeat and occupation.

And by that I of course mean our victory over a small rebel clique who were not representative in any way and liberation from slavery :P

Barrister

*checks the google machine*

Well I'll be.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

200 years ago today Wellington and Blücher defeated Napoleon in Waterloo.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 18, 2015, 12:41:24 PM

Merde!

KRonn

Happy Liberation day Texas!   :unsure:

Valmy

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2015, 12:44:49 PM

Merde!

Du calme !
75 years ago was De Gaulle's Appeal of 18 June.  :frog:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_of_18_June

The Brain

In Waterloo?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.