News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Desktop Computer

Started by Monoriu, June 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Thinking of replacing my current computer. 

Current specifications:

Intel I7 2600k CPU
16GB Ram
Asus Intel P8Z68 V LE motherboard
Super Flower Golden Green 850W power supply
Windows 7
500GB SSD + 6TB internal hardrive
GTX 970

I want to play games like Fallout 4 and the Total War series on the new computer with maximum graphics.  I also watch tons of anime in 1080p and have like 3-4 external HDDs, a number which is expected to increase steadily.  I do tons of file copying operations, and I think the current computer is too slow on that front.  Also prefer the computer to be somewhat quiet.  Budget is US$4,000, though my preference is to spend less than that if possible.  Will not consider Macs. 

I will drag the computer to a shop, and ask them to break it up.  I'll salvage whatever component I can, and replace the ones that need replacing.  I want to retain these:

SSD, HDD, powersupply, CPU cooler, CD drive.  Can I keep the video card and RAM as well?  I just bought the GTX 970 not too long ago and I am not keen to replace it, unless there are good reasons to do so.

I will replace the CPU for sure.  Is i7-5820k good enough?  :unsure:  Should I go for i7-5930k?  Do I need a new motherboard as well?  If so, which one should I ask for?  I have heard there is a limit on the number of external HDDs that I can have?  What if I want to have more?

I'll buy a new case too, because there is only 1 USB 3.0 slot in my existing one.  I want all the USB slots to be 3.0 ones. 

Anything I can do to make the computer more quiet, faster, better etc?

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM
Thinking of replacing my current computer. 

Current specifications:

Intel I7 2600k CPU
16GB Ram
Asus Intel P8Z68 V LE motherboard
Super Flower Golden Green 850W power supply
Windows 7
500GB SSD + 6TB internal hardrive
GTX 970

I want to play games like Fallout 4 and the Total War series on the new computer with maximum graphics.  I also watch tons of anime in 1080p and have like 3-4 external HDDs, a number which is expected to increase steadily.  I do tons of file copying operations, and I think the current computer is too slow on that front.  Also prefer the computer to be somewhat quiet.  Budget is US$4,000, though my preference is to spend less than that if possible.  Will not consider Macs. 

I will drag the computer to a shop, and ask them to break it up.  I'll salvage whatever component I can, and replace the ones that need replacing.  I want to retain these:

SSD, HDD, powersupply, CPU cooler, CD drive.  Can I keep the video card and RAM as well?  I just bought the GTX 970 not too long ago and I am not keen to replace it, unless there are good reasons to do so.

I will replace the CPU for sure.  Is i7-5820k good enough?  :unsure:  Should I go for i7-5930k?  Do I need a new motherboard as well?  If so, which one should I ask for?  I have heard there is a limit on the number of external HDDs that I can have?  What if I want to have more?

I'll buy a new case too, because there is only 1 USB 3.0 slot in my existing one.  I want all the USB slots to be 3.0 ones. 

Anything I can do to make the computer more quiet, faster, better etc?

The i7 5820k will be good enough, but it really depends on the prices of the CPUs.  If it's 25$ more for other, go with the bigger one.  If it's 100$ more, stick with the 5820k.  I'm afraid I have no idea about HK prices.

For the motherboard, I'd go with either Asus Maximus VII Hero or Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2.  Both of them have 6 Sata ports, and you could use them to replace some of your slow external HDDs by faster internal storage.  There are affordable 6TB drives now, like Western Digital Red series.
Ok, next gen CPU. I'd recommend the Asus Sabertooth X99 or the Gigabyte GA-X99M-Gaming 5 if you think the first one costs too much.  It has less USB 3.0 ports, though.

Keep your video card if you want to keep your budget down, it is a pretty good card, but of course, if you have 1000$ to spend, you can get better, like a Geforce Titan X.  But you did specify a budget limit, so keep the 970, you won't have any problems with the games you mentionned.

SSD: SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB or Samsung 850 Pro 512gb.

HDD: Western Digital Black 4tb (WD4003FZEX) for primary storage.  This is where all software will be installed by default.  You will then use a simple free tool like Steam Mover to move your games from the HDD to the SSD, back&forth, when you play them (move the ones you play to the SSD, then move it back to the HDD and move the new ones to your SSD, it is very easy, one button to click).

If you want to replace some of your slow USB drives, than buy additional hard drives like the WD Red 6tb (WD60EFRX).  You have 4 Sata port free, one will be used for your DVD/Blu Ray player, so that's 3 ports left.  Buy 3 if you need that much storage, buy less if you need less.

Blu Ray player: I'd tend to lean toward the "they're all equal", so just pick one.

Keep Windows 7, it will be upgraded to Windows 10 in July, if you chose so.  It is free, btw ;)

RAM: I think all i7 had DDR3 (can anyone else confirm?), so I'd say keep it.  You could increase it to 32gb, games are starting to be 64bit and use more ram.

To make the computer quieter, you will need to invest in some high quality CPU fans&cooler, maybe some new fan for your video card if you find it noisy and some low noise fans for a proper case.
Or go liquid cooling.

I'll be back later with that.  Do you have a color preference for the case?  Silver, black, white others?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Won't buy new SSD, HDD or CD drive.  Will use my existing ones to save money. 

Just asked the computer shop.  i7 5820 is US$400.  i7 5930 is US$600.  They say I need to buy a new motherboard and RAM as well, because it is "four" not "three".  Or something.  How much RAM should I buy?  16?  24?  32?  64?

I already have liquid CPU cooler.  Are they all the same?  Is there any point to buy more expensive ones?

No preference on case colour.  I don't even care about the colour of my car. 

Grey Fox

Can you mail me your old cpu & motherboard after?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 18, 2015, 06:10:33 AM
Can you mail me your old cpu & motherboard after?

If you compensate me adequately for the shipping and psychological damage, yes :contract:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2015, 11:30:47 PM
Just asked the computer shop.  i7 5820 is US$400.  i7 5930 is US$600.  They say I need to buy a new motherboard and RAM as well, because it is "four" not "three".  Or something.  How much RAM should I buy?  16?  24?  32?  64?
Ok, DDR4 for this one, got it.
Hmm, I would go for 24gb, kinda future proof, but it may costly.  If you overstep your budget, stick with 16, it'll be enough for the next 2 years.

I already have liquid CPU cooler.  Are they all the same?  Is there any point to buy more expensive ones?
They are not the same quality wise, but it depends on two things:
1) Will it fit on your new CPU?
2) Does it satisfy you or do you need something even less noisy?

For #1, it will likely require different screws, do you still have the box?  If not, it might not work.  Or it might, maybe your computer shop has the required parts.  I'd say only them could tell you.  And I don't know enough about liquid cooling to suggest something.

For #2, that is entirely up to you. If you like it and it fits with your new CPU, keep it.  If you think it makes too much noise or does not cool enough for you to overclock your CPU, then change it.

And I made a mistake for the motherboards suggestions, this is a new generation of Intel CPU, I'll have to update this.  (ok, i've updated my first message).

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Power supply (yes, you need to change that shitty ps of yours!):
OCZ OCZ-ZT750W
If you intend to buy a 2nd video card (SLI), than you might want to push it to 800-850w.  Either way, it will be better and quieter.

Case:
Thermaltake Core V71 for a basic case or NZXT Phantom for something fancier.  Both seem to offer lots of space for internal drives.

Personally, I'd take the Silverstone FT04S-W ("S" is for Silver, if it was black it would be "B").  I like the design, it's easy to switch internal drives in that.

If you want to stick with your slow and pricey external USB drives, than I would suggest a USB 3.0 hub.  You'll always be limited by the number of USB 3.0/3.1 ports on your computer, so a hub would come in handy, if you want all your drives plugged at once.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 09:04:43 AM
OCZ OCZ-ZT750W
If you intend to buy a 2nd video card (SLI), than you might want to push it to 800-850w.  Either way, it will be better and quieter.

Case:
Thermaltake Core V71 for a basic case or NZXT Phantom for something fancier.  Both seem to offer lots of space for internal drives.

Personally, I'd take the Silverstone FT04S-W ("S" is for Silver, if it was black it would be "B").  I like the design, it's easy to switch internal drives in that.

If you want to stick with your slow and pricey external USB drives, than I would suggest a USB 3.0 hub.  You'll always be limited by the number of USB 3.0/3.1 ports on your computer, so a hub would come in handy, if you want all your drives plugged at once.

What is so shitty about my powersupply?  It is already 850w.  :unsure:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 18, 2015, 10:18:27 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 09:04:43 AM
OCZ OCZ-ZT750W

Case:

What is so shitty about my powersupply?  It is already 850w.  :unsure:
It's not fully modular, it's most likely noisy, since you ask about reducing noise of your computer, and you need 850w to make the job a 650 would do because it can't deliver constant power on the 12v rail.

Buy a certified PS, way quieter than what you have, and save yourself trouble down the road.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 03:38:42 PM

It's not fully modular, it's most likely noisy, since you ask about reducing noise of your computer, and you need 850w to make the job a 650 would do because it can't deliver constant power on the 12v rail.

Buy a certified PS, way quieter than what you have, and save yourself trouble down the road.

My problem is that I buy everything from a shop, so I am limited by what they offer.  But I think you are right that their powersupply sucks, because in the past 4-5 years the powersupply went bust twice, and this is my third unit in this case. 

I deliberately picked a 850w powersupply though, not because a 650w powersupply would not be enough. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 18, 2015, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 03:38:42 PM

My problem is that I buy everything from a shop, so I am limited by what they offer.  But I think you are right that their powersupply sucks, because in the past 4-5 years the powersupply went bust twice, and this is my third unit in this case. 

I deliberately picked a 850w powersupply though, not because a 650w powersupply would not be enough. 
750w with what I proposed you is enough for your needs.  You have tons of USB drives, but these have their own power supply.

I know you buy from a local shop, but they should be able to order it for you.  If not, I can recommend other brands too.  The basics is you need a certified power supply, look for stuff identified as 80+ Bronze.  Then look for big company names like Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake.  If they can't find what I'm suggesting, ask them the brands they carry, and I'll find you something decent.  Tell them you don't care about price, only performance and low noise level.  You'd be my dream customer if I had a computer shop :P

Monoriu

Ok, so a quick summary as a starting point of further discussion.

Buy CPU i7-5930 i7-5820
Buy motherboard Asus Sabertooth X99
Buy RAM 32GB
Keep 500GB SSD
Keep 2TB + 6TB internal drives
Buy additional 6TB internal drive (or larger)
Buy 800W powersupply
Keep CD drive
Keep GTX 970 videocard
Buy new case
Ask questions about CPU cooler

Would prefer to do this after the launch of Windows 10 so that somebody will do the upgrade for me.  I have zero confidence in myself in updating Windows.  I have a tendency to screw up where nobody else will screw up  :blush:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 18, 2015, 09:13:47 PM
Ok, so a quick summary as a starting point of further discussion.

Buy CPU i7-5930
5820 is enough.  You won't get near 200$ worth in speed increase.  Save that money for something else.

Buy RAM 32GB
24gb DDR4 would be sufficient for now.  It's unlikely you'll need more than that during the lifetime of your computer (you change every 3 years at most, IIRC?).

QuoteBuy additional 6TB internal drive (or larger)
I don't think you can buy larger for a decent price at the moment.  There's Seagate making one at 300$US, but I'm unsure of it's general availability.  Aside that, you get helium drives at 1000$.
Buy 800W powersupply
750w-800w.  The model I recommended was 750w.

Keep CD drive
yeah, no need to change that if you are satisfied with what you have.

Would prefer to do this after the launch of Windows 10 so that somebody will do the upgrade for me.  I have zero confidence in myself in updating Windows.  I have a tendency to screw up where nobody else will screw up  :blush:
Windows 10 will be upgraded via the internet (Windows Update) like any other regular update, should you chose to accept your mission, but it won't self destruct after ;)

Windows 7 might wine about the hardware change, given you recently changed your video card.
If that is the case, simply use the phone number they give you to re-activate it.  When they ask "how many computer is windows installed on", tell them the truth: 1.

After that, just do your regulard updates.

Monoriu

I have checked the score at the cpubenchmark site.  The score difference between 5930 and 5820 is indeed very marginal.  I will buy 5820 then. 

I have 16GB of RAM now.  I usually at least double my RAM every time I buy a new desktop.  I will ask about the price difference before I decide, but I am inclined to go for 32GB for now.