News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New video card needed.

Started by Razgovory, June 16, 2015, 07:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I just noticed that Batman Arkham knight is coming out next week and I don't have a video card that is up to snuff.  I have an AMD Radeon HD 7700.  So I'm in the market for an upgrade that will cost less then 200 bucks.  Any ideas.  Note: I may not know exactly how to install such a device.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2015, 07:33:01 PM
Note: I may not know exactly how to install such a device.

It's very easy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2015, 07:33:01 PM
I just noticed that Batman Arkham knight is coming out next week and I don't have a video card that is up to snuff.  I have an AMD Radeon HD 7700.  So I'm in the market for an upgrade that will cost less then 200 bucks.  Any ideas.  Note: I may not know exactly how to install such a device.
At this price point, Radeon R9 280, or 280x if you can push it just a tad north of 200$.
Or the Nvidia GTX 960.
I'd prefer the 280x though.  More RAM, wider bus, faster specs overall.
Try to get the MSI Twinfrzr, Gigabyte Windforce or Saphire Trinity, they are available for each card most likely.  Just stay away from those offering a single stock fan.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I was hoping for something a bit below the price point.  I mean, all I have for a processor is an i5.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

There are tons of i5, some of them near as powerful as older i7.

If you look at the specs here:
http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/batman-arkham-knight/system-requirements
you make it to minimum specs.

Maybe a Radeon R9 270x would do it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

My biggest issue is Fallout 4 coming out then fall.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on a videocard if I have to get a whole new computer to play Fallout 4 in a few months.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2015, 06:31:27 PM
My biggest issue is Fallout 4 coming out then fall.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on a videocard if I have to get a whole new computer to play Fallout 4 in a few months.
Either you buy a good video card now that will be used in your new computer this fall or you don't buy a video card at all.  Buying a cheap video card to play your current game and upgrading again in a few months does not make sense.

Try to overclock your card (don't forget to manually increase the fan speed) with a software like MSI Afterburner.  Maybe overclock your CPU too, and try at minimum resolution until this fall, when you change computer.