Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2016, 04:08:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2016, 02:45:13 PM
What does it mean to "engage with an Islamist?"

Step 1. Do not pre-emptively exterminate them.

Step 2. Engage in some sort of conversation with them to understand where they're coming from and share our priorities.

Step 3 (optional). Discuss various potential arrangements to encourage better and more beneficial relationships, based on step 2.

Let's assume you do and, as part of Step 2, they tell you their priorities are to (i) keep women subjugated, and (ii) kill the gays. What kind of potential arrangements would you offer as a part of Step 3?

Admiral Yi

Yeah, what more understanding do we need or can we get about where they're coming from, and how are our priorities unclear to them?

The Minsky Moment

Step 2. Engage in some sort of conversation with them to understand where they're coming from and share our priorities.

Step 3 (optional). Discuss various potential arrangements to encourage better and more beneficial relationships, based on step 2.

I personally would stick to step 1.  Not that interested in conversation but neither am I in a rush to set up death camps.  I'm confident there is some room in the middle there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

The thing is with far right extremists, is that where they become popular there tends to be a reason behind it. The nazis didn't just spring out of nowhere, it took the depression to propel them to power.

Sure, there's always a small hardcore who are truly committed to evil nonsense.
But for the majority things tend not to be so simplistic. Factors such as poverty and a perceived discrimination against their group are major factors that push many young muslims in the UK towards Islamism.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2016, 04:18:29 PM

I personally would stick to step 1.  Not that interested in conversation but neither am I in a rush to set up death camps.  I'm confident there is some room in the middle there.

I was actually thinking of drone strikes as opposed to death camps.

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on May 18, 2016, 04:25:45 PM
The thing is with far right extremists, is that where they become popular there tends to be a reason behind it. The nazis didn't just spring out of nowhere, it took the depression to propel them to power.

But for the majority things tend not to be so simplistic. Factors such as poverty and a perceived discrimination against their group are major factors that push many young muslims in the UK towards Islamism.

I wouldn't engage nazis in a conversation to understand their priorities either.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2016, 04:28:12 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 18, 2016, 04:25:45 PM

I wouldn't engage nazis in a conversation to understand their priorities either.

Awesome. Leave the working class to them then. What could possibly go wrong?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

I don't want to engage assholes, neither Nazis nor Islamists.
There are some basic liberal values and if you accept them you are welcome. Else please leave or don't come and search your happiness elsewhere.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on May 18, 2016, 04:37:57 PM
I don't want to engage assholes, neither Nazis nor Islamists.
There are some basic liberal values and if you accept them you are welcome. Else please leave or don't come and search your happiness elsewhere.

:cheers:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: citizen k on May 18, 2016, 03:40:33 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 18, 2016, 02:16:50 PM
I don't know man. If we had time travel technology, I'd suggest the best tactic would be to support Saddam, support Assad, support Qadaffi, etc.

You'd support terrorists to prevent terrorism?  :hmm:

I would support order over anarchy, given the knowledge of where the historical path got us.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I'm not convinced that it's productive to engage with scum.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2016, 04:16:49 PM
Yeah, what more understanding do we need or can we get about where they're coming from, and how are our priorities unclear to them?

Good question.

I was merely explaining what I thought was meant when people suggest engaging with Islamists. I'm not particularly interested in arguing for or against it as a proposition at this time and place.

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2016, 04:18:29 PM

Yeah for sure. There's plenty of room between engagement on one hand, and war of extermination on the other.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2016, 05:59:41 PM
Good question.

I was merely explaining what I thought was meant when people suggest engaging with Islamists. I'm not particularly interested in arguing for or against it as a proposition at this time and place.

10-4