And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 14, 2016, 02:45:39 PM
I don't get the arbitrariness here.

What is the standard for 'body positive' vs 'body negative'?

QuoteTFL provides advertising space. They've got a publicly available policy which lists their standards. The mayor's added one which was in his manifesto and that of every other Labour party candidate.

So? The standards should be clear and consistent. 'Body negative' is not a standard. It is an arbitrary emotional reaction that some might have and others might not. Arbitrary rules are made to be abused. It is unreasonable to force advertisers to risk money with such an arbitrary law.

QuoteAnd I had no idea this was a Muslim issue because I just remember every girl I know (and most guys too) were passed off about this issue when that ad ran last year.

Every single girl you know flips out at diet supplements and gym ads? I don't believe you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 02:58:35 PM
So? The standards should be clear and consistent. 'Body negative' is not a standard. It is an arbitrary emotional reaction that some might have and others might not. Arbitrary rules are made to be abused. It is unreasonable to force advertisers to risk money with such an arbitrary law.

TfL isn't the only place one can advertise. Surely the new steering body would tell advertisers whether or not they would accept a proposed ad run before they actually paid to rent the space (though clearly not before they'd already created an ad).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 03:03:36 PM
(though clearly not before they'd already created an ad).

Which is expensive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 03:04:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 03:03:36 PM
(though clearly not before they'd already created an ad).

Which is expensive.

Well sucks to be them. Not sure why we should cry about that.

Side note, I don't really have much of an issue with the ad people complained about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I just think it is a bit regressive and regrettable but ultimately hey I don't live there.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 03:47:40 PM
I just think it is a bit regressive and regrettable but ultimately hey I don't live there.

That those who own an advertising space can control what is put there?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 03:54:05 PM

What? Oh God I have been getting this shit from Sheilbh lately. No I don't think laws should be passed and the goosestepping gestapo be sent out to enforce my will. I simply disagree with how they are exercising their control. Just because I disagree with somebody does not mean I want them stopped by force or some shit for Godsake. Where is this coming from? Do I usually demand that kind of thing?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 03:57:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 03:54:05 PM

What? Oh God I have been getting this shit from Sheilbh lately. No I don't think laws should be passed and the goosestepping gestapo be sent out to enforce my will. I simply disagree with how they are exercising their control. Just because I disagree with somebody does not mean I want them stopped by force or some shit for Godsake. Where is this coming from? Do I usually demand that kind of thing?

I was asking you what is regressive and regrettable. I don't see why those who own advertising space deciding what can be advertised on their space is an issue. The only problematic thing that I can see is that the gov't happens to be said owners.

Tamas

It IS highly arbitrary because it seems like the rule is totally up to the ruling person's personal interpretation and opinion.

Which YES means that any advert showing a non-fat human body will be subject for censorship and such will have to bribe its way through.

then again the mayor is, I guess, free to decrease advertisement income over serious issues like attractive females being shown on pictures, and fill up the money-hole with taxpayer money. Important societal issues worth it!

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 14, 2016, 04:11:50 PM
It IS highly arbitrary because it seems like the rule is totally up to the ruling person's personal interpretation and opinion.

Which YES means that any advert showing a non-fat human body will be subject for censorship and such will have to bribe its way through.

This isn't Hungary. :huh:

The Brain

If punishing the slut/controlling female sexuality makes people feel like big men/women then good for them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 14, 2016, 04:49:02 PM
If punishing the slut/controlling female sexuality makes people feel like big men/women then good for them.

I think they are punishing the photoshop. :secret:

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 04:49:40 PM

Stop that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 04:42:04 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 14, 2016, 04:11:50 PM

This isn't Hungary. :huh:

Yeah power is never abused elsewhere.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 14, 2016, 04:51:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 04:49:40 PM

Stop that.

Make me. :perv: