Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2016, 11:16:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 11:14:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2016, 10:58:11 AM
I am fine with staging a counter-protest to a neonazi march - in fact I applaud someone for doing that (still, if they are at no risk of physical harm, I hesitate with calling them a hero) - as long as the manner of the protest is not such as to physically prevent the neonazis from marching.

How did one lone woman doing nothing more than standing still and holding up her hand "physically" prevent the march?

Again, this is the part I am unclear of. I have already said it twice. That is how the media friendly to her reported that, but I agree it seems incredible.

Then you should probably not base the whole of your argument on a fact even you admit is incredible.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 11:14:25 AM

How did one lone woman doing nothing more than standing still and holding up her hand "physically" prevent the march?

No idea. Why did the police have to remove her? Again I wasn't there. I certainly would think an anti-abortion protester physically blocking women from entering a Planned Parenthood to be out of bounds. I don't know if this is comparable or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Marchers physically removing people standing in the way is a recipe for complications. Much better to let the police handle it. I would guess the marchers didn't want to break formation to bypass her. I don't know if she did/showed inclination to move to block the path of a person who tried, Chinese tank guy style.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2016, 11:25:15 AM
didn't want to break formation to bypass her

Playing pretend soldiers seems to be a very popular thing with the far right. Ordnung!!! Discipline!!!!

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2016, 11:31:57 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2016, 11:25:15 AM
didn't want to break formation to bypass her

Playing pretend soldiers seems to be a very popular thing with the far right. Ordnung!!! Discipline!!!!

I know :(

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

You guys know that there are videos of the incident that you can check, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcXdLItLw8s

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2016, 11:44:42 AM

Thanks but I have zero interest in viewing a Neo-Nazis demonstration. Vomiting might be bad for my productivity this morning.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 11:48:21 AM

Thanks but I have zero interest in viewing a Neo-Nazis demonstration. Vomiting might be bad for my productivity this morning.

I concur with The Brain: there is no point in calling these guys neo-nazis. There is no noticable difference between them and the nazis of the 20s and 30s. Nothing.

Zanza

What's the role of the guy with the bright yellow vest and why is he aggressively pushing that clapping man away? It says "Independent Media" on his back...
Anyway, looks like she showed her defiance but didn't actually hinder the Nazi march and then one of them snapped and grabbed for her.

Solmyr

Marti seems to be under the impression that a) freedom of speech means no private citizen can ever prevent any hate speech in any way, and b) that (Neo-)Nazis are peaceful, law-abiding people who never hurt anyone and that opposing them is perfectly safe.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on May 05, 2016, 12:31:50 PM
What's the role of the guy with the bright yellow vest and why is he aggressively pushing that clapping man away? It says "Independent Media" on his back...
Anyway, looks like she showed her defiance but didn't actually hinder the Nazi march and then one of them snapped and grabbed for her.

If that is the case then I don't see why anybody would have a problem with what she did. That is what these events are designed to do.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on May 05, 2016, 01:06:33 PM
freedom of speech means no private citizen can ever prevent any hate speech in any way

Well a private citizen should not be preventing speech outside of their own property. They can, of course, express their own ideas.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 11:48:21 AM

You should see it.  Turns out, surprise surprise, that the woman was not blocking the march at all.  She was allowing them to March and was conducting her protest ahead of them as they moved down the street.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 01:10:03 PM
freedom of speech means no private citizen can ever prevent any hate speech in any way

Well a private citizen should not be preventing speech outside of their own property. They can, of course, express their own ideas.

:huh:

Ok, so you stay in your house and yell at the TV.  Others will have to do the heavy lifting.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 01:13:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 01:10:03 PM

:huh:

Ok, so you stay in your house and yell at the TV.  Others will have to do the heavy lifting.

Preventing speech is a violation of human rights. I don't think I will allow that kind of activity to take place thank you regardless of how heavy that lifting may be. I don't think protesting something is preventing their speech.