News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Wait wasn't I told that the immigrants are all going to rebel unless settled in comfy homes in major cities and putting them in the dying countryside would be a cruel travesty? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

That was interesting.

It has to be incredibly awkward to trying to explain stuff like that. On the one hand, it seems blindingly obvious, yet...apparently it isn't so obvious in some cases. How do you know which is which?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote"I was in Afghanistan, a country far away from here and now I'm in the north of Norway. I could never have imagined this," says 20-year-old Zakria Sedequi.

He says he fled Afghanistan's Maidan Wardak province after the Taliban tried to recruit him. An ugly scar over his left eyebrow suggests they didn't ask nicely. Sedequi says they rammed the butt of a Kalashnikov rifle into his forehead. He documented the bloody mess with his cellphone camera.

OMG HE IS A YOUNG HEALTHY MALE WITH A CELLPHONE!! HE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO LEAVE EXCEPT TO RAPE!!!!11111

Josquius

Treating people like people tends to yield positive results. Shocker. 
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2016, 03:53:47 PM

The implication being that Germans do not treat people like people?

The lesson, if any, that can be drawn from this is small groups of refugee families with children are going to be less rapey than single male refugees in cities.

Norgy

It's in Norway. We still have some basic decency left.

The article makes little mention of the numbers thrown into the cold of Russia because their papers aren't right. The Conservative Party says hi.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2016, 04:26:33 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2016, 03:53:47 PM

The implication being that Germans do not treat people like people?

The lesson, if any, that can be drawn from this is small groups of refugee families with children are going to be less rapey than single male refugees in cities.

An odd lesson considering that the artilce doesn't give us much of an idea how many of the refugees are young men.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
An odd lesson considering that the artilce doesn't give us much of an idea how many of the refugees are young men.

It helps if you read it.

Liep

Our PM proudly announced a huge success in securing from the EU council that immigrants can no longer send their child support money out of Denmark without an applied reduction based on living standards in their home country. It'll save Denmark a whopping unknown percentage of about €12 million.

But at least we made life worse for some immigrants, so mission accomplished!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2016, 07:07:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2016, 06:36:14 PM

It helps if you read it.

Read it again.  It still does not tell me how many of them are young men.  Only that there are 36 people in all and some are identified in a way that precludes them from being young men.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

As a (former) young man, I find it offensive that if you are one and fleeing a war, you should be sent back, because you are most likely a rapist.

Duque de Bragança

It's not like Martinus would aggressively "touch" young German girls' feet in Cologne anyways.

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on February 20, 2016, 05:37:22 AM
Our PM proudly announced a huge success in securing from the EU council that immigrants can no longer send their child support money out of Denmark without an applied reduction based on living standards in their home country. It'll save Denmark a whopping unknown percentage of about €12 million.

But at least we made life worse for some immigrants, so mission accomplished!
He secured it? :unsure:
The way the news in the uk was presenting it was purely Cameron Cameron Cameron.

Have to say though, this one sounds fairy logical to me. Though that Cameron was so unwilling to budge on the eastern Europeans only wanting it to impact future arrivers was bad. That also seemed sensible.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

In Clausnitz, Saxony, a group of 100 concerned citizens blocked a bus with 17 asylum seekers who were transferred into the little town. They shouted aggressively against the new arrivals to the point that the bus passengers were afraid to leave the bus. The 28 police men (originally 2, they later called reinforcements, when the path was blocked by protesters) ordered the protesters to leave which was answered with laughter. Some of the asylum seekers made rude gestures to the protesters.

Eventually, the police forced the last passengers off the bus, taking one youth into a stranglehold in the process. The police press charges against the refugees for their hostile behavior.

The head of the house where the refugees are housed was a member of the right-wing populist AfD (was, because he's been transferred today to protect his person, according to the local administration). The mayor of the town doesn't understand the outcry the whole event has caused, because this was just a peaceful protest. The head of police has defended his men's actions. They were outnumbered, so they couldn't enforce the kicking out of some people. Also, the violent dragging of the kids out of the bus was necessary and justified to ensure their getting into the safe house.

Also in Saxony, a former hotel that was supposed to be turned into home for refugees was set on fire. 20-30 bystanders cheered, some of them trying to prevent the fire department from extinguishing the flames (charges are pressed).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Some of these things seem like the type to create generations of grudges and animosity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers