News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I'm trying to conquer the world with the Ottomans and you guys are killing my buzz.  <_<  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on February 08, 2016, 04:09:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2016, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 08, 2016, 03:31:33 PM
"All of this is happening because European powers were colonial rulers of the Levant for 30 years."

And that aggrandizes themselves how exactly?

Everything that happens happens because of the actions of Europeans.
I certainly read a lot of people blaming this refugee crisis on the most visible European politician, Angela Merkel, and not on the wars in the Middle East, economic malaise in Africa or hopelessness in the Western Balkans.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on February 09, 2016, 02:28:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 08, 2016, 04:09:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2016, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 08, 2016, 03:31:33 PM
"All of this is happening because European powers were colonial rulers of the Levant for 30 years."

And that aggrandizes themselves how exactly?

Everything that happens happens because of the actions of Europeans.
I certainly read a lot of people blaming this refugee crisis on the most visible European politician, Angela Merkel, and not on the wars in the Middle East, economic malaise in Africa or hopelessness in the Western Balkans.
more then enough people blaming this on wars waged by the west, western imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, and about anything else you can imagine, as long as the 'white man' is to blame for it. Merkel gets blamed for inviting them all in.

Zanza

If that's your perception of reality...

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2016, 09:07:44 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2016, 08:45:22 AM
Well the primary role of the provinces for a couple centuries there was to be farmed by corrupt Pashas.
That does not go against my "the Ottomans were terrible" hypothesis.

Actually part of the point.  They would bleed the Balkans to build horrible, tacky palaces along the Bosporus.

Which is probably better than any use anyone has found for Balkans ever since.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on February 09, 2016, 03:14:03 PM
just saying what's in the left leaning press, not my problem if you can't accept that.

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 09, 2016, 03:44:19 PM
just saying what's in the left leaning press, not my problem if you can't accept that.

Fortunately the right know the real source of the problem.  Jews.  Jews are trying to destroy European culture by inundating it with brown people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2016, 06:16:23 AMHonestly, the Ottomans.  I'd mellowed in my anti-Ottoman Byzanteen prejudices when I was in College/doing my Masters but being in the Balkans has, well, confirmed everything.  A journey from north to south Serbia-from the old Austrian frontier to Rashka and Kosovo-is a journey from Europe to, well, ethnic hatred, tribal thinking and chronic underdevelopment.  It's not some kind of mistake that we've now spent more than a century fighting wars stemming from the utter failure of the Ottoman Empire. Gavrilo Princip, Mlada Bosna, ISIS, Al Qaeda-same parents. 

The Ottomans legacy here is astonishing.  You go through regions that were supposedly favored-Bosnia, Albania, Kosovo-and they just didn't build shit.  The sole legacy of the Empire was the creation of ethnic hierarchies premised on hatred, oppression and continued poverty.  No literacy.  Minimal trade networks.  Minimal investment.  You go to the great recruiting grounds of the greatest Ottoman soldiers and statesmen and the only impressive buildings are pre-Ottoman.  They make the Austrians look like goddamned Cyrus the Great.  It's incredible.  The Porte didn't give a shit if central Hungary was almost unpopulated.  They didn't care if a million Serbs fled Kosovo for the Austrian frontier.  They didn't care if Albania was ludicrously poor as long as Albanian tribes could be counted on to repress the occasional Serb or Greek rebellion.  That was the logic of the entire Empire.  The Western colonialists just imitated that for a few decades.

much appreciated  :)

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2016, 04:46:56 PM

Fortunately the right know the real source of the problem.  Jews.  Jews are trying to destroy European culture by inundating it with brown people.

:rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 10, 2016, 04:04:46 AM

Just saying what's in the right leaning parties, not my problem if you can't accept that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Is Raz a sassy big and beautiful black woman?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2016, 08:35:57 AM
At a carnival parade in Ilmtal, Bavaria: "Ilmtal's Asylum Defense" (the left side had "Asylpaket III" painted on it in reference to the recent federal law package "Asylpaket II".

I have to say, that's a pretty decent Tiger I mock up.

Other parades similarly questioned Germany's asylum politics. In Saxony, a mock up train was labeled "Balkan Express", with people dressed as locusts on/around it.

Ed Anger probably has a similar mock up built onto his riding lawn mower.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2016, 11:14:37 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 10, 2016, 04:04:46 AM

Just saying what's in the right leaning parties, not my problem if you can't accept that.
so you agree that the leftist press will blame west for all that's wrong in the world first, and only lay the blame where it belong after the political-correct bs has been stripped away. Nice to hear.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive