News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Have you been reading this thread? There have been a lot of articles posted describing a situation where border agents were unable to control the flow, where immigrants have ignored their instructions, where many police have given up and in some cases a policy of trying to push the immigrants forward to the next country as fast as possible has been applied.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

I'm not surprised that in some isolated instances there are police officers who are overwhelmed by the number of refugees. that's different than saying europe has given up on border control. this increased immigration isn't going to last forever, because there are a limited number of refugees. as well, overwhelmed police in provinces X and Y doesn't necessarily mean provinces A B C D E are overwhelmed

Admiral Yi

It seems very much that Greece, the transit point for all Syrians and a bunch of Africans pretending to be Syrians, has very much given up on border control.  They're being waved on through to Germany.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 31, 2016, 01:31:09 AM
Europe can absorb the population of Syria. They can't absorb the population of the rest of Eurasia. If they didn't deport anyone at all as you seem to be suggesting, what keeps the non-Syrians from coming in?

The collapse in European border integrity is a new development. Last year's wave are the early adapters. If their experience is primarily positive, their friends and family are likely to follow suit. OTOH, if they spend 6 months sitting in a camp and then get rejected for asylum and flown home... numbers will decrease. Future numbers are highly contingent on what Europe chooses to do with the current group.

barely anyone will get deported because the countries to which they need to be deported (i.e. the countries of origin) will not take back their own citizens. What will happens is this: an order to leave the territory will be issues, the order will be ignored, the person receiving the order will disappear into illegality. Endless millions will keep on coming because Europeans are to weakwilled to stop them.

The Brain

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2016, 12:47:05 AM
also, if a million syrians appeared in europe, spread out among the european nations based on population sizes. so what? what harm is done? is it really just the temporary $? the cost isn't that high at all given the overall economic boost immigrants (incl. illegal immigrants) provide.

plz note this question isn't directed at the Xenophobe Crowd (brain, crazy ivan, duque, grallon)

I resent that. I dated an immigrant last year.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2016, 03:29:32 AM
It seems very much that Greece, the transit point for all Syrians and a bunch of Africans pretending to be Syrians, has very much given up on border control.  They're being waved on through to Germany.

Though in fairness to Greece, it doesn't seem like the other countries are doing much to stop the Yugoslavians pretending to be Syrians from entering either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 31, 2016, 04:10:30 AM
Though in fairness to Greece, it doesn't seem like the other countries are doing much to stop the Yugoslavians pretending to be Syrians from entering either.

I wasn't trying to pick on Deadbeat Pinko Retardistan.  Just trying to distinguish between an open border there and what appears to be status quo ante in the Western Medditerranean.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2016, 10:32:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2016, 09:22:20 PM
That's a weak line or argument and you know it.

Not as weak as this line of non-argument.

And no, any policy that lets people stay once they get here, no matter how many border agents are employed or how much fence is put up, is not going to be effective at stopping people from getting in. You're right about that. Stopping them at the border AND removing the ones who get past it won't completely eradicate illegal immigration, but it will greatly reduce it. As I said before, Europe hasn't been employing this strategy, at least in regards to the Syrians.

Okay, give me the exact quote from the official government stance where Syrians in Syria are invited to settle in Germany.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Gypsies and Albanians. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Lots is being done to stop Balkan fony assylum seekers clogging up the system. It was one of the earliest things done with the current crisis as it was a pretty easy and harmless win.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

An FPÖ member of the city council in Linz has resigned from his office.

His FPÖ colleague had posted on her Facebook page, following suggestions that refugees could help in social professions that are chronically understaffed, that it was horrible idea to have "horny young mussulmen" be the "kindergarten uncle who helps little girls do wee wee" or "bathes granny."

The now resigned councilman replied, "well, they could help in the petting zoo, there's nice sheep at least ..."

The prosecution is investigating them for hate speech.

The FPÖ will probably - as usual - call this "isolated cases."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Meanwhile, the German AfD: after party head Petry said that in her opinion illegal immigrants should be stopped at the German border, if necessary, with guns, someone asked on the interwebs: "That's rubbish. Do you want to keep out women and children at the green border with force of arms?"

Beatrix von Storch, member of European Parliament: "Yes."

She later specified that she only meant to highlight current laws that allow for the use of force to protect German borders.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Which current German law would allow you to shoot people trying to cross a border? I am pretty sure we stopped doing that in 1989.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on January 31, 2016, 12:35:44 PM
Which current German law would allow you to shoot people trying to cross a border? I am pretty sure we stopped doing that in 1989.

They refer to §11 UZwG: http://www.buzer.de/gesetz/5750/a78919.htm

Of course the hurdle for the use of it is considered to be very high (I guess in practice it would require an armed force to invade to invoke this paragraph).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

The next few paragraphs limit it a lot. It sounds like it is mainly meant to allow for shooting at vehicles or for warning shots. And it clearly states that shooting at children is never allowed, so von Storch should shut the fuck up.