EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Liep on January 26, 2016, 04:39:15 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 26, 2016, 04:35:26 PM
nah

Quelle surprise...

what? You honestly believed europeans had turned into balls of light after 1991? lol. The effects and costs of this (great?) migration will be felt and payed for for decades to come. and it's not the newcomers who'll do the paying,  not for a long long long time

Tamas

From the events in Hungary it was quite obvious the "we let all Syrians in" declaration opened the floodgates. A steady, slowly increasing, but managable and above highly cooperative and peaceful stream of migrants turned into a huge, furious, desperate and uncooperative mass of people in short order.

And to add insult to injury the Hungarians were in the background hard pressed by Germany to uphold the EU laws and keep them from going forward. All the while Wilkommenskultur was going on loudly back home.

No matter how we spin it, the handling of this has been potentially a historical scale screw-up by Merkel.

Liep

We're currently undergoing a shitstorm because of the new immigration law. So far it's somewhere between the cartoon crisis and the whale killing shitstorm of 2015 in magnitude.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Yeah I mean, what are the limits on the law?  :lol: If a migrant says "I have nothing of value" how far the authorities can go of searching him/her?

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2016, 05:12:23 AM
Yeah I mean, what are the limits on the law?  :lol: If a migrant says "I have nothing of value" how far the authorities can go of searching him/her?

They can search everything according to the new law, and it's the police who has to judge whether or not an item is of enough value to be seized.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Why is it creating such a shit storm with Denmark? Czech Rep. did pretty much the same, and housed refugees in prisons for weeks, and while there were complaints about that, it didn't reach shitstorm levels.

Or is it just that ball of light scandiweenians are held to different standards?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2016, 05:21:57 AM
Why is it creating such a shit storm with Denmark? Czech Rep. did pretty much the same, and housed refugees in prisons for weeks, and while there were complaints about that, it didn't reach shitstorm levels.

Or is it just that ball of light scandiweenians are held to different standards?

I think it's because Denmark has been known as a liberal and social country with happy people and because our government is actually proud of this and has publicised it. They placed advertisements in middle eastern and north african newspapers telling potential refugees about Denmark's new laws.

Oh, and foreign journalists who's come to follow the debate has been shocked at the level of discourse here. Many of the members of the biggest party behind the government has been convicted of racism and more have been reported for it, yet like Trump they just keep getting more voters.

Liep

"I found an unopened pack of Marlboro!"

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on January 27, 2016, 05:28:17 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2016, 05:21:57 AM

I think it's because Denmark has been known as a liberal and social country with happy people and because our government is actually proud of this and has publicised it. They placed advertisements in middle eastern and north african newspapers telling potential refugees about Denmark's new laws.

Oh, and foreign journalists who's come to follow the debate has been shocked at the level of discourse here. Many of the members of the biggest party behind the government has been convicted of racism and more have been reported for it, yet like Trump they just keep getting more voters.

Well it is high-time for everyone to realise the obvious: even in Europe, the masses who have supported the socio-liberal status quo are interested in the socio, ie welfare and government handholding angle, not the liberal one. Just because they quitely put up with giving same rights to colored folks and such during the good years doesn't mean they won't grab the torches and pitchforks the moment there is a dent in their feelings of security.

Liep

In a lovely turn of events the people who were the strongest supporters of the Muhammad cartoons are now in uproar over Guardian's depiction of Lars Løkke as a nazi in their cartoon.

:lmfao:

Syt

Quote from: Liep on January 27, 2016, 05:53:37 AM
In a lovely turn of events the people who were the strongest supporters of the Muhammad cartoons are now in uproar over Guardian's depiction of Lars Løkke as a nazi in their cartoon.

:lmfao:

Stuff like that doesn't even surprise me anymore. Many people are only OK with freedom of expression as long as they agree with the message and aren't the target of it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2016, 05:59:34 AM
Stuff like that doesn't even surprise me anymore. Many people are only OK with freedom of expression as long as they agree with the message and aren't the target of it.

As a member of the government party ("liberal") said about the Guardian: "Yes, of course they can print it, but I'm also allowed to express my utter and complete disdain over this horrendous newspaper."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on January 27, 2016, 06:44:38 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2016, 05:59:34 AM

As a member of the government party ("liberal") said about the Guardian: "Yes, of course they can print it, but I'm also allowed to express my utter and complete disdain over this horrendous newspaper."

That's a far cry from machine gunning them though, à la islamist vs Charlie Hebdo.

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 27, 2016, 07:04:52 AM

That's a far cry from machine gunning them though, à la islamist vs Charlie Hebdo.

If only islamists would be outraged like this the world would be a better place. But it's that he's outraged at all that's fun.

Martinus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 27, 2016, 03:13:50 AM
Quote from: Liep on January 26, 2016, 04:39:15 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 26, 2016, 04:35:26 PM
nah

Quelle surprise...

what? You honestly believed europeans had turned into balls of light after 1991? lol. The effects and costs of this (great?) migration will be felt and payed for for decades to come. and it's not the newcomers who'll do the paying,  not for a long long long time

He was clearly being sarcastic. It was more along the lines of "gee, what a surprise Crazy_Ivan is posting racist bullshit once again" and not "I am honestly surprised you would post something that racist after always posting very sane opinions".