News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Immigrants are not necessarily refugees.

Granted back in those days we had no immigration controls, for the most part, so there was no distinction if you were some ambitious guy seeking free land in the US West or if you were a Ukrainian Jew fleeing pogroms.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2015, 11:00:55 AM
Kids are cute generally.  Not particularly surprising but it does help to remind people of that every now and then.

My kids are the cutest though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 11:01:19 AM

Granted back in those days we had no immigration controls, for the most part, so there was no distinction if you were some ambitious guy seeking free land in the US West or if you were a Ukrainian Jew fleeing pogroms.

Probably helped to have huge tracts of lands with no documented previous owners.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 11, 2015, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 11:01:19 AM

Probably helped to have huge tracts of lands with no documented previous owners.

Oh there were documented previous owners. The French, the Spanish, Mexico, The Kingdom of Hawai'i, the Russian Empire. Not sure who else you are referring to :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2015, 11:00:55 AM
Kids are cute generally.  Not particularly surprising but it does help to remind people of that every now and then.

On the other hand, children are generally a nuisance. Not particularly surprising but it does help to remind people of that every now and then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 07:10:46 AM
Personally I think we should take all that want to come. But I believe in open borders so nobody should listen to me.

Done.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Maybe we can take a lesson from the Fallout games and build vaults. I don't think anyone would mind if the news headline was "10,000 Syrian refugees will be placed in a vault in the Appalachian mountains. The vault will reopen in 2175."
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2015, 10:17:47 AM
Canada should volunteered to accept 200k refugees. By the wars end only about ~50k will stay in Canada.

Until the next war happens, when those 150k of now "Canadian citizens" will demand to be airlifted back to safety in Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 11, 2015, 12:51:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 07:10:46 AM
Personally I think we should take all that want to come. But I believe in open borders so nobody should listen to me.

Done.

Yet you responded to my post *mindblown*

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2015, 12:54:28 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2015, 10:17:47 AM
Canada should volunteered to accept 200k refugees. By the wars end only about ~50k will stay in Canada.

Until the next war happens, when those 150k of now "Canadian citizens" will demand to be airlifted back to safety in Canada.

They can ask but we don't even have the capacity to airlift 10k person.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 07:06:50 AM
Man, all these Syrian young able men that he refugees are allegedly solely composed of sure look like little girls.

It's not "alleged", they are the official UN numbers, in case you cannot read, this is the infographic:

http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/regional.html#_ga=1.171704992.1447245490.1441933645

What happens is that that media gives an enormous attention and displays a disproportionate amount of attention to the kids. If there are a few among the crowd, they are the ones that will be photographed.

These are more accurate photos of those that arrive from Africa:

And this one, from those arriving via Turkey (photo taken in Macedonia):

Of course, there is an agenda: if they show the real faces of 72% of the migrants, instead of focusing on the 15% cute children, people in Europe may actually figure out what they are actually letting in and welcoming as kings in their countries.

Quote from: Alfred Russell
According to that link, there were 350,000 migrants detected at the EU borders in Jan - Aug 2015. Even if that is underreported, Germany is only expecting 800,000. There aren't 3.2 million migrants to accept.

We also have over 10 million people in the US that have migrated here illegally and if you pay attention to the republican debates even most of them are not in favor of pushing them out.

I was putting things into context to show that your 'giant' figure of 200,000 is a drop in the Ocean.

The numbers will rise nonstop. The UN warned today of millions more to come from Syria http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230971/Europe-expect-millions-millions-refugees-Syria-war-turned-country-living-hell-warns-UN.html.

But that does not tell the whole story. There are people on the move from Senegal to Pakistan, and as word of the ease of arrival and get house free and free dole money spreads, many, many more millions will start to move to Europe. When the idea becomes more popular in India and China, we will be seeing a migration wave the likes of which has never been seen before in History.

Note that I am only referring to the current migrant crisis.

If you do want to make a link to your illegal migrants from Mexico, Europe has been recieving millions from North Africa, Eastern Europe and other parts of the world during the last decades, too. We are not that different when it comes to taking in illegal immigrants, though the EU does not collect data on undocumented people in the same way the US do.

Valmy

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 11, 2015, 02:03:35 PM
But that does not tell the whole story. There are people on the move from Senegal to Pakistan, and as word of the ease of arrival and get house free and free dole money spreads, many, many more millions will start to move to Europe. When the idea becomes more popular in India and China, we will be seeing a migration wave the likes of which has never been seen before in History.

Wait why? What has changed that would make millions of people from Senegal to China move to Europe? There are barely enough jobs now. As for all this free money, the European governments are struggling with debts as it is.