And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 07, 2015, 01:22:12 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 07, 2015, 01:11:41 PM
The history nerd in me is waiting for the German decision to take in the migrants to be compared to the decision to take in the huguenots.

Oh, a commentator in one paper already did that (German interior minister is named de Maiziere, after all). He also pointed out that there's a lot of Polish names among right wingers in North Rhine Westphalia (a lot of Poles moved to the Ruhr during industrialization looking for work), that the most popular German schlager singer was born in the Soviet Union, and that a former war refugee from Yugoslavia is among the most recognized German authors (not to mention folks like Klose and Podolski).

Funny you mention that. A lot of anti-immigrant nationalists that seem to crop up on my Facebook (not my friends, but people who post on pages I frequent) seem to have distinctly Ukrainian names.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2015, 03:13:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
This refugee and migration crisis is certainly bringing out some unpleasant attitudes to the fore, especially on social media like facebook.

What surprising me is some of the most strident, anti-migration posting seem to come from Brits living in other countries, who you'd think almost by definition are economic migrants themselves.  :hmm:

No kidding. Poles seem all of sudden to be against the very idea of economy-related migrations...

We get to a point where being reasonable and decent seems almost heroic.

Don't worry, eventually such people will get their own camps.  :)

Martinus

The thing is, I'm not a Christian and while I believe in some higher power I don't necessarily believe in the "final judgement" - but even then I wouldn't want to look back at my life at the end of it and say that I turned away people who were dying and needed my help, because I had a whole lot of "rational" excuses and justifications. Even if there is nothing after we die - and I am not sure of that - I don't want to be "that guy". I have been "skeptical" about muslims and their immigration, to say the least, but there are times when just being human trumps any creed or worldview.

The Brain

People have been dying in droves, but you only care when they show up at your door? A heart as hard as gold.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2015, 03:51:08 PM
People have been dying in droves, but you only care when they show up at your door? A heart as hard as gold.

When I can help, I want to help. The premise that if you do not (miraculously) cure all the world's ails, you have no right to care about those at your doorstep, is morally bankrupt.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2015, 03:55:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2015, 03:51:08 PM

When I can help, I want to help. The premise that if you do not (miraculously) cure all the world's ails, you have no right to care about those at your doorstep, is morally bankrupt.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Danish police can't be all bad. They shut down the highway the refugees were walking on all night and when they stopped to sleep in the cold autumn night they were also helpful.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jaron

In America, they would have shot this kid in the back and then claimed he was wielding a shotgun.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Focus point of Hungarian happenings the last couple of days has been Roszke at the southern border, which is a processing point.

It has been so overcrowded that people have been told to camp on the fields around it.

Latest report is that the police is just giving up on registration. "Have something to drink, eat, and go on your way" is what apparently they are telling to people.

There are way too few officers to handle this many migrants, while Orban is still obsessing over the fence and wants more manpower on it. the "independent civil organisation" (stuffed with insane tax payer money) of his fans is now recruiting volunteers... to build the fence.

Meanwhile, the system of processing and handling the asylum seekers is nearing collapse. Priorities people, priorities.

Liep

Wow, German police is actually holding back a refugee train heading for Denmark instead of just ignoring EU-law like they have the past week.

Meanwhile, the latest thing to go viral here is people hating on an idiot who spat on the refugees from a highway bridge and people sailing refugees to Sweden on private boats. Is Denmark rallying in an effort to appear less racist than we normally do?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I mean.. besides this well placed ad (bottom right) that basically tells refugees to fuck off... :bleeding:  :Embarrass: :weep:

Tamas

Bit of a sample of the life close to the Roszke camp. Crying children, Allahu Akbar, yelling Hungarian police, crowd brawling for space on the bus, you name it, all is here.

http://index.indavideo.hu/video/Roszke_menekultek_menekultvalsag?utm_source=flash&utm_medium=watchoninda&utm_campaign=videoplayer

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2015, 07:24:40 AM
Bit of a sample of the life close to the Roszke camp. Crying children, Allahu Akbar, yelling Hungarian police, crowd brawling for space on the bus, you name it, all is here.

http://index.indavideo.hu/video/Roszke_menekultek_menekultvalsag?utm_source=flash&utm_medium=watchoninda&utm_campaign=videoplayer

Desperate people act desperately. Film at 11.

I am not exactly sure what the purpose of posting such link is.

garbon

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/this-guy-wrote-the-perfect-anti-emigration-facebook-rant

QuoteEmigration is completely out of control in this country, and I'm sick of it. I'm not staying quiet any more. You can't walk down a street in Jamaica or Hong Kong or India without hearing someone speaking English, and in Canada and Australia we have even introduced our own legal system, decimated local communities and installed our own head of state! DISGUSTING! English has now been imposed as the official language of 57 sovereign countries! FIFTY SEVEN!!! What the hell? Who do we think we are?! And the government is doing nothing: any British person can just pack their bags and go and live anywhere in the world at ANY TIME and nobody in the British government will do anything to stop them. If I wanted to, I could just get on a plane to Germany tomorrow, get a job in their booming economy and live there for the rest of my life! My parents could up and retire to Spain or Portugal at a moment's notice! Why should we have that right? It's political correctness gone mad! (And it's also probably, somehow, part of the war on Christmas, and health and safety and women thinking it's ok to wear comfortable, unsexy clothing.)

The figures speak for themselves:
1,300,000 Britons live in Australia; 761,000 in Spain; 678,000 in the USA; 603,000 in Canada; 291,000 in Ireland (11,200 of whom are drawing unemployment benefit from the Irish state), and even 8,500 in Mexico and 7,100 in Kuwait! We're literally EVERYWHERE! I bet there's at least one branch of Greggs in the Falklands.

We need to close our borders immediately before the situation gets even worse for everyone else. We are sleepwalking into a nightmare where a third of the world will be overrun by the British! AGAIN!

EDIT: To all of you really hench army guys sending me hate mail for writing this: I am gay, and I will furiously pleasure myself to your profile picture. Just so you know.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

No kidding. You Brits got to stay at home. The world is tired of your constant need to go abroad and colonize.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."