Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2015, 10:51:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
I am going to a "Welcome, Refugees" gathering on Saturday.   :bowler:

All those millions of refugees trying to get to Poland appreciate it Marty.

:P

This is mainly to counter a lot of blatant racism in public discourse lately. Poles are a nasty nation.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on September 07, 2015, 10:57:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2015, 10:51:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
I am going to a "Welcome, Refugees" gathering on Saturday.   :bowler:

All those millions of refugees trying to get to Poland appreciate it Marty.

:lol:

srsly is there a more out of the way country for the Middle East - Germany road than Poland?

New Zealand!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on September 07, 2015, 10:26:24 AM
You could also do the "tough love" approach the Aussies have with regards to stopping the boat people, that is process all asylum claims offshore and automatically deny everyone who tries to bypass the process.

It would be better than Merkel going all Denethor on Europe.  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpPAz0tz98

Australia intercepts border jumpers at sea, so there aren't hordes of media on hand.  Also, Indonesians aren't fleeing genocidal wars.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 07, 2015, 11:11:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 07, 2015, 10:57:47 AM
srsly is there a more out of the way country for the Middle East - Germany road than Poland?

New Zealand!

But they've got Dunharrow, which is set up to handle refugees.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

The Alternative für Deutschland, AfD, a party that started as Euro-sceptics and favoring neo-liberal economics and then kept drifting further and further right until their founder left in disgust, has called for an immediate solution of the refugee crisis by:
- re-introducing controls on all German borders
- re-introduce a strict visa regime for the Balkan countries
- deciding all applications within 48 hours with immediate deportation
- all applications without valid personal ID will automatically be rejected
- the right to apply for asylum in Germany is to be canceled effective immediately - you should only be able to apply from abroad; if that's not possible due to war in your home country, you should do so in a neighboring country
- all expenses for asylum seekers should be covered by the EU states that gave them transit

The party most recently polled at 3.5% on federal level (you need 5% to get into parliament).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

The personal id one... In theory seems sound but... Kind of cuts things off for people from
3rd world hell holes or who fell afoul of their government.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

This refugee and migration crisis is certainly bringing out some unpleasant attitudes to the fore, especially on social media like facebook.

What surprising me is some of the most strident, anti-migration posting seem to come from Brits living in other countries, who you'd think almost by definition are economic migrants themselves.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

The history nerd in me is waiting for the German decision to take in the migrants to be compared to the decision to take in the huguenots.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on September 07, 2015, 10:37:53 AM
There was a large gathering of people at the central station waiting for the refugee train. They had welcome signs and had made lunch for several hundred people.

Only problem was that the Danish police had held the train back because they wanted to register all the refugees on board. It was 4 hours delayed and the group dispersed. :P
This is why trains were all cancelled this morning?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on September 07, 2015, 01:11:41 PM
The history nerd in me is waiting for the German decision to take in the migrants to be compared to the decision to take in the huguenots.

Oh, a commentator in one paper already did that (German interior minister is named de Maiziere, after all). He also pointed out that there's a lot of Polish names among right wingers in North Rhine Westphalia (a lot of Poles moved to the Ruhr during industrialization looking for work), that the most popular German schlager singer was born in the Soviet Union, and that a former war refugee from Yugoslavia is among the most recognized German authors (not to mention folks like Klose and Podolski).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: alfred russel on September 07, 2015, 01:11:41 PM

maybe in a few generations it will be compared to the taking in of Mohammed by the then-not-yet-Medina-people.

Ancient Demon

European leaders are a bunch of clowns.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 07, 2015, 02:13:17 PM
European leaders are a bunch of clowns.

not the fun sort however.

anyways: I've heard some people claim that during WW2 refugee-men of fighting age and from allied nations were 'encouraged' to join the army and aid with the liberation of their nations. (Not sure if it's true though). (if true:)Maybe that's something all those young men migrating from safe country to safe country to Germany (after initially, and rightfully, fleeing Syria) could do? That way they help solve this mess meaning all these refugees, that surely want to go home -as proper refugees desire, can return to their homes that much faster. And maybe bring those who have ruined their country to justice. Before the Russians do it (heard someone claim they have a couple thousand people on the ground. All on vacation of course)

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 07, 2015, 12:28:22 PM
The Alternative für Deutschland, AfD, a party that started as Euro-sceptics and favoring neo-liberal economics and then kept drifting further and further right until their founder left in disgust, has called for an immediate solution of the refugee crisis by:
- re-introducing controls on all German borders
- re-introduce a strict visa regime for the Balkan countries
- deciding all applications within 48 hours with immediate deportation
- all applications without valid personal ID will automatically be rejected
- the right to apply for asylum in Germany is to be canceled effective immediately - you should only be able to apply from abroad; if that's not possible due to war in your home country, you should do so in a neighboring country
- all expenses for asylum seekers should be covered by the EU states that gave them transit

The party most recently polled at 3.5% on federal level (you need 5% to get into parliament).

The last bullet point seems to come close to PDH's old idea of taxing foreigners living abroad.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
This refugee and migration crisis is certainly bringing out some unpleasant attitudes to the fore, especially on social media like facebook.

What surprising me is some of the most strident, anti-migration posting seem to come from Brits living in other countries, who you'd think almost by definition are economic migrants themselves.  :hmm:

No kidding. Poles seem all of sudden to be against the very idea of economy-related migrations...

We get to a point where being reasonable and decent seems almost heroic.