News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2015, 11:54:28 AM
Yeah, I don't think this is about moving to a richer country so much as moving to a country that isn't in a civil war.

So what was the deal with the refugees in Turkey? Did they just keep them locked up in camps or something?

I heard some Egyptian expert saying Turkey was driving all the refugees into Greece and the EU with the intention of trying to destabilize them but that seemed a bit too mustache twirlingly evil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

That they could have just stayed in an earlier country is a fair point.
But.... Put yourself in their shoes- you're already displaced from your country and on the move. You might as well try and make the best you can of a bad situation.
Consider too that they think life in Europe for them will be much better than it actually will be
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2015, 12:01:56 PM
I heard some Egyptian expert saying Turkey was driving all the refugees into Greece and the EU with the intention of trying to destabilize them but that seemed a bit too mustache twirlingly evil.

Well, it's working.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Yeah, I don't think this is about moving to a richer country so much as moving to a country that isn't in a civil war.

So what was the deal with the refugees in Turkey? Did they just keep them locked up in camps or something?

Some are.  None are allowed to really stay.  Most are not even there legally and could be sent back to Syria at anytime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

I'd just like to add to the discussion that these Syrians are actual human beings. And that it's pretty much on us that ISIL and Assad's regime can do what they want to.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on September 04, 2015, 03:39:19 PM
I'd just like to add to the discussion that these Syrians are actual human beings. And that it's pretty much on us that ISIL and Assad's regime can do what they want to.

Hey I want them all brought to North America. Taking care of refugees and doing humanitarian intervention should be the main way we interact with these crises IMO. I was just curious what was going on in Turkey.

I am not sure why it is on us what happens in Syria.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Hungarian government has announced: they will be picking up the refugees at the Budapest train station and the ones marching on the motorway, and will transfer them to the austrian border.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2015, 03:45:31 PM
Hungarian government has announced: they will be picking up the refugees at the Budapest train station and the ones marching on the motorway, and will transfer them to the austrian border.

I hope the Austrians are ready to receive them.

Eddie Teach

I'd just like to add to the discussion that these Syrians are actual human beings.

True.

QuoteAnd that it's pretty much on us that ISIL and Assad's regime can do what they want to.

No, we agreed, they're human beings, not kittens.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

they are treated as guests with limited rights.  Those who make it inside the camps receive food, healthcare and some money.  Those outside, the majority, have to fend for themselves.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 04, 2015, 04:04:25 PM
I'd just like to add to the discussion that these Syrians are actual human beings.

True.

QuoteAnd that it's pretty much on us that ISIL and Assad's regime can do what they want to.

No, we agreed, they're human beings, not kittens.

Kittens decided that George Bush should destabilize the region.  I hadn't heard that particular conspiracy theory before.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2015, 04:06:40 PM
Kittens decided that George Bush should destabilize the region.  I hadn't heard that particular conspiracy theory before.

While I get that I think Assad did a few things to make his people unhappy on his own.

But in any case Americans there trying to stabilize the region is what destabilized it in the first place, well to the extent it was previously not destabilized.

Eddie Teach

George Bush had nothing to do with putting or keeping Assad in power, and Saddam was just as bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 04, 2015, 04:11:29 PM
George Bush had nothing to do with putting or keeping Assad in power, and Saddam was just as bad.

I think you are missing the whole Gulf War 2 thing when one thinks about the region being destabilized.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2015, 04:08:03 PM
But in any case Americans there trying to stabilize the region is what destabilized it in the first place, well to the extent it was previously not destabilized.

Wow.  Amnesia about just how bad the US messed things up in the region is strong with this board.