And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I expect Merkel to breed three dragons any time now.  :nerd:

Zanza

A three year old Syrian boy drowned when trying to cross from Turkey to Greece. :cry:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34133210

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Ok this confusion is getting ridicoulous.

After a couple of days of a wall of police keeping the migrants out of the international train station of Budapest, this morning the police disappeared. Nobody got notified about anything, not the press, nor the public, let alone the migrants. Just poof the police was gone, apart from like 8 officers vs. hundreds of desperate people, who of course flooded the station as soon as they realised the way was open. They stormed the first train they could find, only leaving it when they were told it was going toward southern Hungary.

Now, if we assume this was mere incompetence, then the reason for the police leaving was that the station has stopped sending out trains to the West. So I guess police thought crisis is solved.

Then came the part from a cheap tragic comedy.

As the migrants flooded the station, a nostalgia train remembering the Pan-European picnic (when we let those East Germans through to Austria) pulled in to the station. With wagons full of German text, and a big German flag proudly waving on the train....

Needless to say the migrants pretty much assaulted it. I am hoping this has been solved now, but initially the passengers already on the train were not able to leave it because it became so full in a matter of minutes. Last time I read, it was still choke full of people. It is not going anywhere, but the migrants don't believe this, so they fry in a shut off train with the A/C off (as the whole train is just standing. Heck, last time I heard, the Hungarian passengers were stuck being unable to leave the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPDLtBVBkvU

And now Vienna is saying that they will just let migrants through without registering or stopping them. This is about two days after they stopped EVERYONE at the Austrian-Hungarian border.

WTF is going on?!

Syt

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0005706c5532477c93991b6251336af8/canada-woman-had-tried-sponsor-boy-who-drowned-turkey

QuoteCanada woman had tried to sponsor boy who drowned off Turkey

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — A lawmaker says a woman in Canada had tried to sponsor Syrian relatives who drowned off the coast of Turkey, including a 3-year-old boy whose lifeless body was shown in photographs that are galvanizing debate around the world.

Canadian legislator Fin Donnelly told The Canadian Press that the Vancouver-area woman had sought to sponsor the mother and two children but that her request was turned down by Canadian immigration officials.

Donnelly said the woman tried to sponsor her nephews Aylan and Galip Kurdi and their mother, all three of whom drowned.

Images of the body of Aylan, 3, washing up on a Turkish shore shocked the world and prompted emotional appeals Thursday to governments to do more to help migrants.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on September 03, 2015, 04:09:56 AM

WTF is going on?!

I have been asking myself the same question several times over the past few weeks.
My answer so far is that everyone is busy washing their hands.

Syt

Meanwhile Orban says that the refugee crisis is a German issue, not an EU issue, since all refugees want to go to Germany, anyways.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

There was one train they let go with migrants, it was supposed to go to Sopron, close to the Austrian border.

It was stopped around 30% of the way, at the station close to one of the refugee camps, by around 100 police officers. Legit passengers (ie. Hungarian citizens, non-refugees) were sent to another train which was waiting for them, refugees are put on buses, no doubt heading to the camp, which of course they do not like.

Norgy

Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2015, 04:47:11 AM
Meanwhile Orban says that the refugee crisis is a German issue, not an EU issue, since all refugees want to go to Germany, anyways.

Sweden is jealous.

Josquius

Yesterday a Dutch girl was endlessly ranting about how all the foreigners want to go to Holland.
I guess it's a unifying characteristic of right wingers the world over.

QuoteThey stormed the first train they could find, only leaving it when they were told it was going toward southern Hungary.

:lol:
Comedy gold.
Don't you have signs on your trains and platforms?

QuoteAs the migrants flooded the station, a nostalgia train remembering the Pan-European picnic (when we let those East Germans through to Austria) pulled in to the station. With wagons full of German text, and a big German flag proudly waving on the train....

Needless to say the migrants pretty much assaulted it. I am hoping this has been solved now, but initially the passengers already on the train were not able to leave it because it became so full in a matter of minutes. Last time I read, it was still choke full of people. It is not going anywhere, but the migrants don't believe this, so they fry in a shut off train with the A/C off (as the whole train is just standing. Heck, last time I heard, the Hungarian passengers were stuck being unable to leave the train.
Funny, but also pretty horrible. I would imagine most of the true passengers on that train were pretty old people :(

What's with the train crisis anyway? It has never been such an issue before. Merely announcing a free for all could perhaps contribute but given the timescales in movement I doubt it's the bulk of the story
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Tyr on September 03, 2015, 06:03:14 AM
Yesterday a Dutch girl was endlessly ranting about how all the foreigners want to go to Holland.
I guess it's a unifying characteristic of right wingers scumbags the world over.

FYP.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 03, 2015, 06:03:14 AM
I guess it's a unifying characteristic of right wingers the world over.

QuoteThey stormed the first train they could find, only leaving it when they were told it was going toward southern Hungary.

:lol:
Comedy gold.
Don't you have signs on your trains and platforms?

Yes. Don't think they are more versed in Hungarian geography than you are, though.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

I get the concerns of the conservatives and how destabilizing having lots of immigrants is on a continent which bases everything on nationalism and ethnic states. Heck far from that receding it seems they just keep wanting more of those.

But the world is changing, not just for Westerners but for everybody. The more I look at the absurdities happening at all these borders the more I continue to think we need to basically just have open borders like the Euros do internally. I mean sure we can stamp everybody's passport to make sure they aren't wanted criminals or whatever but immigration controls seem so 20th century and out of touch with the nature of the globalized economy and society. It will all break down eventually, let's just get it over with and let nature take its course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2015, 04:10:40 AM
QuoteCanada woman had tried to sponsor boy who drowned off Turkey

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — A lawmaker says a woman in Canada had tried to sponsor Syrian relatives who drowned off the coast of Turkey, including a 3-year-old boy whose lifeless body was shown in photographs that are galvanizing debate around the world.

Canadian legislator Fin Donnelly told The Canadian Press that the Vancouver-area woman had sought to sponsor the mother and two children but that her request was turned down by Canadian immigration officials.

Donnelly said the woman tried to sponsor her nephews Aylan and Galip Kurdi and their mother, all three of whom drowned.

Images of the body of Aylan, 3, washing up on a Turkish shore shocked the world and prompted emotional appeals Thursday to governments to do more to help migrants.
She's the sister of the boy's father, who survived.

QuoteTeema Kurdi, Abdullah's sister who lives in Vancouver, told Canada's National Post newspaper that she had been trying to help them leave the Middle East.

Abdullah is reported to have been kidnapped and tortured during the siege of Kobane by Islamic State or another jihadist group.

"I was trying to sponsor them [...] but we couldn't get them out, and that is why they went in the boat," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34133210