News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I didn't think any detention was needed. They would have to pay a significant amount of money to get to Germany from Iceland. Presumably that young refugee kid living with that Icelandic family would have a hard time scrapping his or her pennies together.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2015, 11:07:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 11:03:09 AM
Is Iceland part of the freedom of movement aspect that EU member states have?

Yes, Iceland is part of Schengen.

Then I suppose Tamas already has his answer. <_<

At any rate, yes, it seems odd, but understandable, to support freedom of movement only when it benefits you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Yeah this is nice of the Icelandic guys but I think it is highly naive:

From Hungarian happenings it seems quite clear that 99% of Syrians are desperate to get to Germany. Maybe they think thats the only good country in the EU and/or they already have family there.

I am pretty sure none of them is imagining Iceland to be the land they settle on, however. If they will be moved there, there is a very good chance it will be against their will.

Zanza

It would be interesting to know why they think that Germany is the land of milk and honey. I mean, it's not too bad here, but it's not noticeably better than other EU countries...

Valmy

They cannot even partake in Germany's finest cultural achievement :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

What is Germany's finest cultural achievement?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on September 01, 2015, 12:06:09 PM
What is Germany's finest cultural achievement?

The thing their former colonial subjects actually decided to keep.

Hitler avoided this thing.

Tamas

By the way I think what is materialising in things, especially in his Hungary has been playing with migrant travel accesses in recent days, is a very double-faced acting from Germany: they openly declare to accept all Syrian refugees, but then demand tighter control from border states. Hungary and Austria must be doing their machinations (sometimes letting migrants board trains sometimes not) in reply to that: in Hungary, wether it's a poker game with Merkel or just panic as Merkel phones down and slaps Orban around, I am not sure, but I am certain it is related.

Not as bad as the French foreign minister though: they restart border controls at the Italian border, they let the chaos in Calais continue then yell at Hungary for their fence

Zanza

Germany said it would not use the mechanism from the Dublin Agreement to send back refugees that made it to Germany. It did not say that Hungary or Austria should just stop enforcing that agreement and let everybody come. They should have communicated that more clearly.

Or Germany should just accept the desire of these people to come here and do tell Hungary and Austria to let them pass. That does not fit the redistribution agenda Germany follows in the EU.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on September 01, 2015, 12:59:07 PM
Germany said it would not use the mechanism from the Dublin Agreement to send back refugees that made it to Germany. It did not say that Hungary or Austria should just stop enforcing that agreement and let everybody come. They should have communicated that more clearly.

Or Germany should just accept the desire of these people to come here and do tell Hungary and Austria to let them pass. That does not fit the redistribution agenda Germany follows in the EU.

Well yeah I guess this might be part of Merkel trying to balance all public opinion, couldn't it? She makes grand welcoming statements, but then behind the scenes tries to keep as much of the migrants out as possible via pressuring Hungary, so to minimise the chance of some far-right incident happening that would force her to speak her mind about the whole setting shelters on fire thing.

Maximus

Valmy

We should be the ones taking in all these Syrians. We took all those Lebanese and they were cool.

Tamas

Following a couple of days of confusion and not telling the migrants a single thing at the major international train station in Budapest, right now some riot police is facing off with a few hundred migrant young men who are clearly having enough of not knowing shit just being shut off from the station.

I mean, Hungary is just doing what its supposed to do, keeping its registered refugees from getting deeper into the EU, but it would be nice to actually tell that to the refugees themselves.

Then again, the government could use an escalation to keep up their popularity-rise on this whole ordeal.