And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I think these predictions of the demise of Russia are overly optimistic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 31, 2015, 04:09:45 PM

This one might be more relevant.  :hmm:

It is good to see the Irish came around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on August 31, 2015, 07:20:40 AM
Right wing protestors in Heidenau this past weekend.

Really needs a whiff of grapeshot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Valmy

Considering how the other Pakistan is going they might as well just call it 'Only Pakistan'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/11835537/10000-Icelanders-offer-to-house-Syrian-refugees-after-authors-call.html

Quote10,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees after author's call

Government says it is looking at offers and will consider accepting more refugees after initially saying it would only take 50.

Ten thousand Icelanders have offered to welcome Syrian refugees into their homes, as part of a Facebook campaign launched by a prominent author after the government said it would take in only a handful.

After the Icelandic government announced last month that it would only accept 50 humanitarian refugees from Syria, Bryndis Bjorgvinsdottir encouraged fellow citizens to speak out in favour of those in need of asylum. In the space of 24 hours, 10,000 Icelanders – the country's population is 300,000 – took to Facebook to offer up their homes and urge their government to do more.

"I'm a single mother with a 6-year-old son... We can take a child in need. I'm a teacher and would teach the child to speak, read and write Icelandic and adjust to Icelandic society. We have clothes, a bed, toys and everything a child needs. I would of course pay for the airplane ticket," wrote Hekla Stefansdottir in a post.

"I think people have had enough of seeing news stories from the Mediterranean and refugee camps of dying people and they want something done now", Bjorgvinsdottir told Icelandic public television RUV.

Welfare Minister Eyglo Hardardottir told RUV that authorities were examining offers made on Facebook, and would consider upping the number of refugees accepted under a humanitarian quota.

"I have made it clear that I don't want to name a maximum figure", she said. "But we (will) explore every avenue available in welcoming more refugees".

The Icelandic government is now looking at increasing its refugee quota.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It is not like Iceland has a space shortage. Good for them.

Tamas

What if the refugees sent to Iceland want to refuge into Germany? Will Iceland stop them?

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2015, 10:12:58 AM
What if the refugees sent to Iceland want to refuge into Germany? Will Iceland stop them?

How are they going to get to Germany? Longship?

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2015, 10:45:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2015, 10:12:58 AM

How are they going to get to Germany? Longship?

So they are going to be detained on Iceland then?

garbon

Is Iceland part of the freedom of movement aspect that EU member states have?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 11:03:09 AM
Is Iceland part of the freedom of movement aspect that EU member states have?

Yes, Iceland is part of Schengen.