News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Morality issues aside, I am sure sending a few plane-loads of illegal immigrants back to Palmyra will do wonders to stop people from wanting to go to Europe. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on August 21, 2015, 02:01:55 AM
Morality issues aside, I am sure sending a few plane-loads of illegal immigrants back to Palmyra will do wonders to stop people from wanting to go to Europe. 

Well Europe isn't China. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Several hundred right wing protesters clashed with police yesterday when they wanted to prevent a bus of refugees from getting to a new home. Police were pelted with fire crackers, bottles and stones. And, unsurprisingly, this was again in Saxony.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Right-wing protesters? The local CDU is more radical in Saxony à la CSU in Bavaria? Or is it just Saxons being Saxons, without Angles?

Zanza

Saxony is the stronghold of the NPD.

Josquius

Whenever the media is doing interviews with migrants they always seem to run into a few who have already spent time in Europe but were deported.
It could of course just be selection bias since they're the ones most likely to speak good English.
But it sure seems that deporting isn't much of a help for dissuading people.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Protests in Heidenau, Germany:

Greek-Macedonian border:

It's really sad that it comes to this. We should be able to handle all of this in a more humane matter.  :(

Syt

We should, but it appears the majority don't want to. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on August 23, 2015, 01:52:35 AM

Is it really the majority or a vocal minority, though?

Syt

Meanwhile, Merkel is remaining quiet about the whole refugee/xenophobia situation.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on August 23, 2015, 09:33:49 AM
Meanwhile, Merkel is remaining quiet about the whole refugee/xenophobia situation.

Of course she does. There are no votes to win going there.

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2015, 02:52:32 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 23, 2015, 01:52:35 AM

Is it really the majority or a vocal minority, though?

Some are quite vocal. But in the end, nobody wants a couple hundred refugees in their backyard. Someone else's backyard, though ...

Syt

Read this morning that one of the main obstacles to having a quota system for refugees within the EU is the reluctance of the Eastern members to accept more than they do. Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia have signaled that they would accept up to 2000 refugees each - but preferably no Muslims, because of security/integration concerns.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

So if we expect 800,000 asylum applicants this year, it would almost be 1% of our number between the three of them. Thanks for your solidarity, partners!  :swiss:

Syt

Merkel has finally spoken out against the recent spike in xenophobia. :)

By having her press speaker give a few stock lines on her behalf. <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

You don't last as long as she has by sticking your neck out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?