And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2015, 08:36:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2015, 08:27:21 AM
Meanwhile, Orbán wants to build another border fence along the Romanian border - Romania being part of the EU but not of Schengen.

Maybe if we don't say anything they're continue to build fences all around Hungary. And then only the bright ones will find a way to get out of their own country? :unsure:

I do not like your general anti-Magyar attitude  :mad: You would welcome everyone from a country that managed to tear itself apart in civil war, but would prefer Hungarians to be fenced in?!

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2015, 08:40:51 AM
Meanwhile, Orbán wants to build another border fence along the Romanian border - Romania being part of the EU but not of Schengen.

Maybe if we don't say anything they're continue to build fences all around Hungary. And then only the bright ones will find a way to get out of their own country? :unsure:

I do not like your general anti-Magyar attitude  :mad: You would welcome everyone from a country that managed to tear itself apart in civil war, but would prefer Hungarians to be fenced in?!

As my post alluded to, only the stupid ones, presumably those more likely to support their increasingly loathsome government.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2015, 07:40:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2015, 07:35:43 AM
What is your point in this story, Duque? That in Bavaria even leftists are retarded?  :)

1. it is an idiotic letter, yes

2. You have a teenage daughter who is going to spend a whole day in an area choke full of men straight out of Syria, Afghanistan, and other muslim countries. She wants to head out in a miniskirt.
A) You let her go B) you think "it is ugly prejudice but why take the 1% risk of some bad experience happening to her?" and tell her to dress more modest for the time being
?

3. Accept only those among these so-called refugees who are willing to follow the legal procedure and put aside their prejudices, and expel those who claim to accept them and then renege later on. This may mean a disproportionate amount of Christians among them, so the left might not so much interested. I hope Yezidis get in too since they are even more vulnerable.

Dress more modestly for the time being has been de facto norm in the areas with lots of muslim immigrants in Europe, cf. that video of the harassed Belgian student shot in Brussels, and it does not help. Any skirt is seen as a provocation, and only trousers or tracksuits (!) are tolerated, at best.
Colour me highly skeptical on this one.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 15, 2015, 07:48:26 AM
Leftists in Bavaria? No such a thing! CSU Land! Or so the leftists in the rest of Germany say. One-party state, somewhat democratic, etc..

Educators tend to be disproportionately leftist compared to the general population.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

This could be in the long-established tradition of internal balkanic/EE bickering, still going on, despite Slovakia and Hungary agreeing on something for once. Kind of a cheap shot, but then it's the region.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2015, 07:41:24 AM
This handling of this crisis has helped change my view of the Hungarian state; now not sure it was sensible to allowed them into the EU and NATO.

Orban was not in charge in 2004.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2015, 08:40:51 AM

Well, if we wanted to stop barbaric culturally foreign non-European peoples migrating to our areas and settling in, we should have thought about it when Magyars invaded Pannonia - now the genie is out of the bottle.

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 15, 2015, 08:45:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2015, 07:40:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2015, 07:35:43 AM
What is your point in this story, Duque? That in Bavaria even leftists are retarded?  :)

1. it is an idiotic letter, yes

2. You have a teenage daughter who is going to spend a whole day in an area choke full of men straight out of Syria, Afghanistan, and other muslim countries. She wants to head out in a miniskirt.
A) You let her go B) you think "it is ugly prejudice but why take the 1% risk of some bad experience happening to her?" and tell her to dress more modest for the time being
?

3. Accept only those among these so-called refugees who are willing to follow the legal procedure and put aside their prejudices, and expel those who claim to accept them and then renege later on. This may mean a disproportionate amount of Christians among them, so the left might not so much interested. I hope Yezidis get in too since they are even more vulnerable.

Dress more modestly for the time being has been de facto norm in the areas with lots of muslim immigrants in Europe, cf. that video of the harassed Belgian student shot in Brussels, and it does not help. Any skirt is seen as a provocation, and only trousers or tracksuits (!) are tolerated, at best.
Colour me highly skeptical on this one.

You are still missing the point. We do not know whether the letter was just an overreaction or if there really is a problem of students being harassed and assaulted by the refugees. The article fails to establish anything other than the fact that some school principal somewhere wrote a racist letter.

Edit: And the fact that so far a large number of stories claiming that "refugees are barbarians!!!1" have been debunked as exaggerations at best and bold faced lies at worst makes me skeptical about any reports like this.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2015, 09:45:52 AM
Well, if we wanted to stop barbaric culturally foreign non-European peoples migrating to our areas and settling in, we should have thought about it when Magyars invaded Pannonia - now the genie is out of the bottle.

The whole continent should have been walled off in the year 500. What you mean 'our areas' Slavic heathen  :mad:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Incidentally, I read today that the Syrian refugees we are getting are actually more likely to be upper middle class/elite - since they are the ones that actually could afford paying the human traffickers and the like. Coupled with the fact that Syria has been quite secular compared to other Middle Eastern countries, I will wait for some hard evidence before accepting by faith a claim that the refugees are, by large, some uncouth fundamentalist savages.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2015, 09:51:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2015, 09:45:52 AM

The whole continent should have been walled off in the year 500. What you mean 'our areas' Slavic heathen  :mad:

"Slav" comes from "slave" and slaves built the Roman Empire. I want Italians to pay us reparations.

Razgovory

This is not true.  I think it comes from "slava", which means "glory".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

By the way, another idiocy - and a question is this something genuinely limited to Polish idiots, or shared by other European idiots - the outrage that "OMG REFUGEES CLAIM TO NEED OUR HELP BUT THEY HAVE SMARTPHONES!!!111"

This is so retarded, I don't even...

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2015, 09:56:15 AM
This is not true.  I think it comes from "slava", which means "glory".

Sorry, I meant it the other way around - "slave" comes from "Slav"

Syt

Zeit.de cites a Polish poll: 68% of the Poles fear that refugees bring religious conflicts to their country, and 58% are afraid of terrorist attacks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.