News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Sorry, originally misread the part about German banks. Yeah, limiting the guarantee system to national banks is stupid.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2016, 06:11:45 AM
But seriously, their list is a bit of a mixed bag:
In an ironic development, the party elites have succeeded in getting more moderate proposals passed than what at least a sizeable minority of the grassroots members would have liked.

QuoteLeave the European Union and reestablish some kind of EEC (the predecessor of the EU until 1992) - silly but unclear what that means exactly
It means the Treaties since Maastricht should be rolled back, i.e. no more political union. I guess it is comparable to the UKIP position.

Quote- Leave the Euro - probably would help Eurozone, especially the South
That was actually badly worded by me. They want to abolish the Euro, not just Germany to leave. Not that the Euro without Germany makes any sense.

Quote- Islam has no place in Germany and that includes minarets and veils in public - depende what exactly it means
It means they don't consider Islam a religion that falls under the freedom of religion our constitution guarantees, but rather an anti-constitutional ideology that should not be protected under religious freedom, but rather fought actively by the state similar to Nazism or Communism.

Quote- Islamic organisations should not be able to get the same public law status (unlike Christian and Jewish religious organisations) - again depends what it means
Several (about 20?) Christian churches and the Jewish Central Council are organised under public law in Germany, which means that the revenue service levies church taxes for them, they are tax-exempt and have various other statutory or constitutional rights.

Quote- EU foreigners from poor countries are not welcome as they "only want to benefit from our social system" - depends what it means
It's not really clear in their program either. They want to reform the EU to deny EU foreigners access to the social system unless they have worked here for four years. That's already planned by the government though. They also consider to limit freedom of movement from other EU countries if the solution is not satisfactory.

Quote- Germany should build fences and border posts along its borders - depends if we keep Schengen or not
Schengen seems to be one of the treaties they want to abolish as part of them abolishing the EU and going back to the EEC. At least they mention it very negatively. As far as border protection goes, they want to either make the EU borders inpenetrable or if that does not work out, they want to reintroduce border checks along the German border.

Quote- More police, harsher punishment, lower age limits for criminal prosecution (12 instead of 14 years old) - dont know enough about how lenient the law is now to comment
Right now, youth can be tried starting at age 14 and they get considerably lower punishments than adults and the focus there is even more on rehabilitation and trying to make functioning adults out of them. Adolescents between 18 and 21 can be tried either under youth or adult law, depending on criteria I don't know.

Quote- Traditional family of father, mother and children is favored and families with many children shall get special state support - probably a good overall idea, depends on what it means in practice
The program is vague there. They seem to envision some kind of utopia where parents don't split up, have more time for their children and all financial needs are paid for by the state.

Quote- Public broadcasting system should be abolished - need to know more to understand the context
Germany has a public broadcasting system (similar to the BBC?) that provides multi-channel television, radio and internet sites with news, documentaries, sports, movies etc. It's paid for by a kind of tax that every household has to pay (about 18 Euro per month).

Quote- German banks' shared liability shall be limited to national banks (I think this is against a European Union banking union) - define "German bank"
Limiting deposit insurance etc. to national banks is a consequence of their opposition to the Euro.

Quote- State spending shall be limited constitutionally to protect the citizens from the state - depends on the context
They have a libertarian streak similar to those anti-tax activists in America and basically want to reduce the government in size by limiting its revenue.

Martinus

Ok, thanks. I disagree with a lot of these ideas but they are not beyond the pale.

Zanza

The opinions that are beyond the pale are only voiced, but not written into the program. You can't write your opinions that are beyond the pale into a party program in Germany or else your party will be declared unconstitional.
It is unclear how much support the more extreme members (Storch, Höcke, Poggenburg, more and more Gauland) have compared to the more moderate members (Meuthen and in a crazy development even Petry must be counted among them these days).

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2016, 12:43:49 PM
They have a libertarian streak similar to those anti-tax activists in America and basically want to reduce the government in size by limiting its revenue.

That seems to contradict their other plans, which strike me as expensive social engineering.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

They are just as consequential about it as the GOP. :P

Martinus

So, leftist media in Europe are reporting on a brave woman who single-handed stopped a march of neonazis in Sweden, as depicted in this photo:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/woman-sweden-tess-asplund-who-defied-neo-nazis-in-viral-photo-says-group-should-never-have-been-a7012421.html

Never been a big fan of neonazis (although I think they have a right to march like any other group, provided they are not breaking the law), but I wonder how a similarly brave female activist would have fared if she tried to block a march of 300 islamists in Ankara or even Mollenbeck. Would the marchers patiently wait for the police to arrive and remove her, too?

Eddie Teach

Guy in front looks like Walter White.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 06:50:05 AM
So, leftist media in Europe are reporting on a brave woman who single-handed stopped a march of neonazis in Sweden, as depicted in this photo:

Never been a big fan of neonazis (although I think they have a right to march like any other group, provided they are not breaking the law), but I wonder how a similarly brave female activist would have fared if she tried to block a march of 300 islamists in Ankara or even Mollenbeck. Would the marchers patiently wait for the police to arrive and remove her, too?
Only one way to find out. You should put on your gayest outfit and try with the next Islamist march! 😊

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2016, 11:31:26 AM

Only one way to find out. You should put on your gayest outfit and try with the next Islamist march! 😊

Not planning too. But neither gonna gush over that woman being a hero. If anything, the neonazis have behaved pretty well here.

Eddie Teach

Remember that time Mono stood in front of a tank? You should do it.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 01:39:03 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2016, 11:31:26 AM

Not planning too. But neither gonna gush over that woman being a hero. If anything, the neonazis have behaved pretty well here.

So lets get this straight.  A woman does a very brave thing but it doesn't rate because these are actually good guy neo nazis?

Martinus

What she did was not very brave. She apparently was at no risk.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 04:09:13 PM
What she did was not very brave. She apparently was at no risk.

Hindsight: perception of the nature of an event after it has happened

derspiess

Why didn't they just walk around her?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall