News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

yay for millions more muslims in europe. Our children and grandchildren will thank us for it.

not.

Well played by Turkey, pox on the EU-invertebrate-politicians that squander away the values they're supposed to uphold and screw over they people who's interests they're supposed to protect.

Legbiter

Now might be a good time for you guys to visit your local mosque and recite the shahada in front of witnesses. Britain should Brexit while the going is good.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

It does seem like this was setup to encourage Britain to exit the EU.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2016, 06:02:05 AM
Now might be a good time for you guys to visit your local mosque and recite the shahada in front of witnesses. Britain should Brexit while the going is good.

Since the Queen is The Defender of the Faith it's her who will have to to recite the shadada. :D

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2016, 06:02:51 AM
It does seem like this was setup to encourage Britain to exit the EU.

Officially, Brexit people dislike Christian Eastern Europeans, so maybe not.

Valmy

Don't worry. As soon as the war in Syria is over all those refugees will go back home.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2016, 05:47:00 AM

How can they be so stupid as to agree to almost all of Turkey's demands (only thing they said no to was giving them carte blanche to carve out a part of Syria to "process" refugees), whent hose demands only increase Turkey's future leverage against them?

Cowardice, shortsightedness, greed?  Take your pick.  The politicians are whores bought and paid for who are doing what they're told.  The EU wasn't created to benefit its peoples but those who control it - and it ain't the sovereign people...

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2016, 10:45:30 AM
Don't worry. As soon as the war in Syria is over all those refugees will go back home.

:lol:  I was told that here a few months ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

-Turks will get visa-free Schengen travel from June, assuming Turkey holds up their end of the bargain (which seems to be taking a lot of money and putting some level of organisation into ridding themselves of the refugee crisis)

I think the more priceless one is the last one. After June, Turkey can just threaten to give Turkish papers to all refugees and be done with the whole thing.
How would that be upholding their end of the bargain?  :huh:

QuoteHow can they be so stupid as to agree to almost all of Turkey's demands (only thing they said no to was giving them carte blanche to carve out a part of Syria to "process" refugees), whent hose demands only increase Turkey's future leverage against them?
No idea why Erdogan's Turkey is seen as a partner in this. They don't seem to have any similar interests as the EU and I doubt paying them money will change that.

LaCroix

Iormlund

Could somebody explain to me how the EU could not create a giant refugee camp/shelter in Greece from that 3 billion euros?

3 billion sounds like a lot of money until you realize there's almost 2 million Syrian refugees in Turkey.

Josquius

The deal sounds pretty reasonable to me.
The problem with the refugees wasn't taking in refugees themselves, its the sheer difficulty of processing them all and the iffyness of having them hanging about in the meantime.
The way this sort of thing really SHOULD work is that they apply from their home country and then when they're accepted come over to Europe. That is of course not possible in their current situation so having it done from Turkey is the next best thing.
Those calls of it being against international law- :bleeding:

Assuming it all works as advertised of course. It sounds awfully complex to me. How will Turkey decide who gets to go?
I'm a bit distrusting of it working out.

Quote-Turks will get visa-free Schengen travel from June, assuming Turkey holds up their end of the bargain (which seems to be taking a lot of money and putting some level of organisation into ridding themselves of the refugee crisis)

I think the more priceless one is the last one. After June, Turkey can just threaten to give Turkish papers to all refugees and be done with the whole thing.
Free movement for Turkish citizens != free movement for people with residence in Turkey.
No way is Turkey about to give a bunch of people Turkish citizenship, no matter how confident it is that they'll all decide to go and work illegally in Europe (which they won't).
██████
██████
██████

Martim Silva

Eurojust, the EU's judicial cooperation agency, doubts that Turkey will even keep its side of the bargain:

http://www.politico.eu/article/eurojust-report-raises-doubts-about-eu-turkey-migration-deal-refugee-crisis-asylym-syria-war/

"Contrary to EU opinion, migrants leaving Turkey is a dominant idea favored by the Turkish government and people — i.e., they support smugglers getting immigrants leaving Turkey," the Eurojust report states.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has been pushing EU leaders for greater concessions in return for Turkish support to stem the flow of Syrian migrants into Europe. On Monday, he demanded an extra €3 billion, visa-free travel to the EU for Turkish citizens, and accelerated talks on Turkey's EU membership.

One of Turkey's latest requests is a one-in, one-out arrangement for handling migrants: for each Syrian migrant now in the EU that Turkey takes back, Europe will resettle one Syrian now in Turkey.

But the Eurojust report is extremely critical of any deal with Ankara.

"Turkey has no specialized border or migrant forces, lacks sufficient visa legislation and has no independent judiciary," the report states, criticizing the Turkish government for not having a proper process in place for expelling migrants, who are "freed after a few days" and simply told to leave the country.

When it comes to the readmissions agreement between Greece and Turkey, "implementation is very low, and very limited."

"Needless to say there are many political aspects and reflections the EU, the Commission and the Council could use and consider for political negotiations," the report states.

Oh, and the UN says that the EU plan is against the law:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35754738

Vincent Cochetel, the UN's regional co-ordinator for the refugee crisis in Europe, said: "An agreement that would be tantamount to a blanket return of any foreigners to a third country is not consistent with European law."

Meanwhile, the UN Secretary-General praised Merkel and her open door policy and told Europe to do more to help the refugees, pretty much blaming all the problems on the "extreme right":

http://www.dw.com/en/un-chief-praises-german-moral-leadership-on-migrant-crisis/a-19102340

Ban Ki-Moon praised German Chancellor Angela Merkel's leadership on the refugee crisis while striking out against asylum restrictions in some European countries and a surge in anti-immigrant politics.
Calling Merkel a "true moral voice," Ban said in Berlin on Tuesday that the Chancellor has shown compassion and leadership in pursuing policies that, while not always easy, were just.
While Merkel tried to put "the protection of every individual person" in focus, other politicians have "chosen the easy path," the UN chief said.
"Extreme right-wing and nationalistic political parties are inflaming the situation where we need to be seeking solutions, harmonious solutions based on shared responsibilities," he cautioned.
He said Europe could do much more to help refugees, and not only with money.

Wonder if he'd say the same thing if the migrants were arriving in his native South Korea?  :hmm:

In the meanwhile, in the wonderful paradise of diversity that Germany is, Die Welt reports that the sex attacks by migrants on girls in the public swimming pool of Norderstedt have become so severe that the pool has been forced to segregate bathing times between male-only and female-only.

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article152914908/Maenner-und-Frauen-nur-noch-getrennt-auf-die-Rutsche.html

That means that a German father and his older son will not be able to enjoy the pool at the same time that their wives/sisters.

Now, which culture is adapting to the other, really?  :hmm:

But fear not. The German Finance Minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, just announced that the nation's budget surplus will be spent in its entirety on the migrants.

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article152972939/Schaeubles-Ueberschuss-Milliarden-sind-fuer-Fluechtlinge-reserviert.html

Aren't you feeling the amazing economic benefits that bringing in millions of Middle Easterners bring?

garbon

We should probably throw our hands in the error because a community swimming pool cannot get its shit sorted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Canada accepts its first Syrian refugees - and already commits an attrocity far exceeding any committed by Assad:

http://boingboing.net/2016/03/10/syrian-refugees-placed-in-hote.html