News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White woman pretends to be black for prestige

Started by merithyn, June 12, 2015, 08:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Can anyone define white privilege?
I mean, can you give me an example so I understand how it work?

Is this about some psychological perception or about a real materiel benefit?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: Siege on June 15, 2015, 12:36:22 PM

http://bfy.tw/Lh9
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

White is seen as the default so we tend to be treated more fairly and judged as individuals. Whereas different looking people tend to be stereotyped more and have to prove themselves. Studies show this behavior is even committed by minorities themselves. It is a deeply ingrained psychological thing.

There is also this weird burden where you are seen as representing your entire group which is not a burden white people typically have to shoulder.

'Privilege' seems a misleading thing to call simply not being shit on but I didn't come up with the terminology.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2015, 12:44:47 PM

White is seen as the default so we tend to be treated more fairly and judged as individuals. Whereas different looking people tend to be stereotyped more and have to prove themselves. Studies show this behavior is even committed by minorities themselves. It is a deeply ingrained psychological thing.

There is also this weird burden where you are seen as representing your entire group which is not a burden white people typically have to shoulder.

'Privilege' seems a misleading thing to call simply not being shit on but I didn't come up with the terminology.

You are a credit to your race, V.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2015, 12:57:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2015, 12:48:39 PM
You are a credit to your race, V.  :D

:o

Help I am being oppressed!

Your people must really have valued education. You are so articulate!

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2015, 08:40:06 AM
Has she actually come out and said that she was born white but has transitioned to being black?

Of course.

Inspiring.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

Raz, not going to respond to you line by line - enough to say that "fat acceptance" and obesity are different things to transgenderism. Being fat is not a part of your identity the same way gender, sexuality or religion are. It's more akin to being a cutter, an alcoholic or a sex addict. So glorifying it is both harmful for yourself and for others as it gives a bad example. Noone has become gay or transgendered by "conversion" - but people do tend become obese by following others' lifestyles.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2015, 12:44:47 PM

That is true. That being said, I think there is a lot of victimhood projection going on with minorities that is quite psychologically unhealthy. I noticed that when someone is not nice to me (and they know I am gay), my first mental reaction is that it must be so because I am gay. Only later I realise that perhaps I have been an asshole to them. So at least white straight people have this thing going for them - if someone dislikes you, you can correctly guess this is probably because you are unlikeable, and not because they are discriminating against you. :P

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2015, 02:31:28 PM
White people be so funny.

:yes:

Just another thing we are inherently good at.   ;)

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2015, 03:36:06 PM
Raz, not going to respond to you line by line - enough to say that "fat acceptance" and obesity are different things to transgenderism. Being fat is not a part of your identity the same way gender, sexuality or religion are. It's more akin to being a cutter, an alcoholic or a sex addict. So glorifying it is both harmful for yourself and for others as it gives a bad example. Noone has become gay or transgendered by "conversion" - but people do tend become obese by following others' lifestyles.

It sounds like you are just deciding what things you want to say are someone's identity and things that are not. After all, a person can be an alcoholic yet refrain from further drinking much in the same way that you could be a homosexual and yet refrain from having gay sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2015, 03:36:06 PM

And who are you to say this?  I strongly suspect that someone has become gay or transgendered by choice either as part of a fad or path to power.  There is a concept in sociology known as "Berdache", where someone takes on the gender of that is not assigned at birth for social reasons.  Since this position is common in some societies and people with gender identity disorder are quite rare, it is likely that at least some of these people chose a transsexual disorder.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2015, 03:40:05 PM
That is true. That being said, I think there is a lot of victimhood projection going on with minorities that is quite psychologically unhealthy. I noticed that when someone is not nice to me (and they know I am gay), my first mental reaction is that it must be so because I am gay. Only later I realise that perhaps I have been an asshole to them. So at least white straight people have this thing going for them - if someone dislikes you, you can correctly guess this is probably because you are unlikeable, and not because they are discriminating against you. :P

I've been the target of plenty of hostility from blacks on account of race.

On a related note, I mentioned to several lesbian acquaintances that I'm so glad man-hating is no longer the defining characteristic of lesbianism.  They're so much better company now.