Zimbabwe Discontinues Currency, Ending Era of Bags of 100 Trillion Dollar Notes

Started by jimmy olsen, June 12, 2015, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2015, 10:34:30 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 12, 2015, 09:57:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2015, 09:51:28 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 12, 2015, 04:34:52 AM
Did they beat the post WWII Hungarian record of hyperflation? Can't be sure with different scales used by Anglo-Saxons.

AFAIK Hungary never came remotely close to 5 billion % inflation in single year.  More like 1,000%.
Hungary went from 5.9x10^10 to the dollar in April to 4.6x10^29 in July. That's easily faster than Zimbabwe. That's like the Big Bang compared to Zimbabwe's glacial pace.  :P

From Wiki: Peak Month and Rate of Inflation: Jul. 1946, 41.9 quadrillion percent
Beyond a certain point, it's irrelevant.  It's like trying to calculate what 1/0 is.  You may get different answers depending on machine precision, but it's all the same thing.  Once you hit a certain point, money isn't money anymore, it's just a scrap of paper.

Or even worse than a scrap of paper as it has all that printed design taking up space. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

You can burn it for fuel. Do your part to reduce inflation at the same time.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 10:04:15 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 12, 2015, 10:01:06 AM
Now why hasn't the US Treasury thought of this!! Could pay off the debt in days!

What could go wrong? :P

I think it could be a net benefit, but probably wouldn't cause too many problems. :hmm:

Anyway, where's my hyperinflation? When I went to law school, I was promised hyperinflation.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2015, 12:28:15 PM

Anyway, where's my hyperinflation? When I went to law school, I was promised hyperinflation.

It's deflation that's the bane of the central-planners these days. Gotta keep those bubbles expanding.

Josquius

I really wonder how this worked on a practical level.
I mean,  the country is in the shitter but it hasn't collapsed. People still have jobs and do their shopping.
Wage renegotiations everyday?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2015, 05:38:00 AM

I like the 80s hair metal font for the spelled out amount. :lol:

I like the fact the spent resources trying to make it difficult to counterfeit.  :D

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2015, 08:42:11 AM
I mean,  the country is in the shitter but it hasn't collapsed. People still have jobs and do their shopping.
What happens in hyperinflation is that everyone switches to a different currency, so the official currency is more or less an artifact.  I've lived through hyperinflation in Ukraine, where the highest denomination bill went from being 100 to being 100,000 when our family left.  Everyone by that point was conducting their business in dollars, except for dealings with the government where the use of official currency was mandatory (not sure how that worked out).

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 17, 2015, 11:54:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2015, 08:42:11 AM
What happens in hyperinflation is that everyone switches to a different currency, so the official currency is more or less an artifact.  I've lived through hyperinflation in Ukraine, where the highest denomination bill went from being 100 to being 100,000 when our family left.  Everyone by that point was conducting their business in dollars, except for dealings with the government where the use of official currency was mandatory (not sure how that worked out).

Why did they want bribes in official currency?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.