News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Getting a new PC in July

Started by Valmy, June 11, 2015, 02:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Did a little hybrid research.

It does look like a pretty good idea, especially for applications where you simply would not bear the expense of a SSD, like a laptop.

I imagine even if you put your OS, for example, on a SSD, in reality only a small fraction of the files in the OS are being accessed a lot. A hybrid that manages that caching for you transparently is a pretty great idea. I think for myself though I am just going to go with a half TB SSD along with a traditional 2 TB HD.

I wonder if it would make sense to go with a dedicated SSD and a hybrid? At the 4TB level the price difference between standard and hybrid are not that great at all...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on June 24, 2015, 08:33:12 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine why a hybrid would be better. Is it transparent? Meaning, does it show up as just one drive to the user, and the controller decides how to place data or something?

I was actually thinking about the Samsung 850, but would likely just go with the 850-Evo. From what I've seen, it is pretty much impossible to see the difference with the Pro, and for another $30 I would rather have a 500GB SSD that runs basically just as fast.

More storage per dollar (as of right now)- hybrids move infrequently accessed data to traditional platters.  SSD prices are plummeting though, thanks to 3D NAND, so hybrids and standard HDDs will probably going the way of the cassette tape in the not-too-distant future.
Experience bij!

Berkut

Yeah, I was pretty stunned at how far prices had come down since I looked last time.

Not sure the traditional hard drive is going to go away though - the price/GB for them is still a fraction of a SSD price...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Norgy

I think durability may be the reason for the Pro's existence.

Traditional hard drives will probably still exist as mass storage devices. I have a NAS.
It'd be nice if more cases included more slots for 2.5 " drives.

viper37

Yeah, I can't imagine why a hybrid would be better. Is it transparent? Meaning, does it show up as just one drive to the user, and the controller decides how to place data or something?
It is supposed to be that way.  It's like having a really, really big cache on the HDD.

I was actually thinking about the Samsung 850, but would likely just go with the 850-Evo. From what I've seen, it is pretty much impossible to see the difference with the Pro, and for another $30 I would rather have a 500GB SSD that runs basically just as fast.
It is possible. I have the Evo in the office, it was very cheap, and it runs decently fast for office applications.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on June 24, 2015, 09:13:46 AM
Did a little hybrid research.

It does look like a pretty good idea, especially for applications where you simply would not bear the expense of a SSD, like a laptop.

I imagine even if you put your OS, for example, on a SSD, in reality only a small fraction of the files in the OS are being accessed a lot. A hybrid that manages that caching for you transparently is a pretty great idea. I think for myself though I am just going to go with a half TB SSD along with a traditional 2 TB HD.

I wonder if it would make sense to go with a dedicated SSD and a hybrid? At the 4TB level the price difference between standard and hybrid are not that great at all...
The thing is, with some SSDs, if you unplug them for a few days, or a few months, they lose all data.
Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 24, 2015, 10:15:11 AM

More storage per dollar (as of right now)- hybrids move infrequently accessed data to traditional platters.  SSD prices are plummeting though, thanks to 3D NAND, so hybrids and standard HDDs will probably going the way of the cassette tape in the not-too-distant future.
You'll still see traditional HDDs in very large sizes.  They may not develop any more products like the Velociraptors wich is a very fast hard drive, instead relying on SSD and more conventional HDDs.

And SSDs can lose your data if they are left powerless for a while.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

Valmy

Well I got it and put it all together and it works pretty great except Time Warner super lowered the signal strength of our wireless signal once we switched our TV service to DirecTV. So I have to get that problem cleared up before I can get Dragon Age Inquisition up and running on it and see how it looks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."