News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Getting a new PC in July

Started by Valmy, June 11, 2015, 02:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2015, 08:17:01 AM
Here is my problem Viper my budget tops out at $700 and I find that hard to get with your recommendations  :(. I am going to go by Fry's tomorrow to see what they have and recommend.

Also I find assembling the parts and putting it together a big intimidating. But I guess so long as I have done it before it should be straight forward. It has been awhile though. Though all the fans and modern cooling systems is a little  :ph34r:

Well, you could buy the parts on-line then seek a store that does the assembly.  Or buy it all from a shop like NCIX US with price-match, and pay them 50$ so they assemble it for you.

So, that 700$, that includes keyboard, mice and monitor?  I don't think I can fit in your budget with all that :unsure:

I'll check the site I gave you, will try to reduce costs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

So, I went back to the drawing board.  And I can't fit your budget with Intel.
I'm at 700$:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JwLjkL

And I have no video card.  Although I have a MSI Twin Frozr 7950 I could sell you at a decent price, including shipping.

I've built on with AMD:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rF7Z3C
629$.
Figure 150$CAN for my video card, plus shipping.
Same as on E-bay:

EDIT:
I've lowered the Intel CPU:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/66k83C
667$ + video card.

If your case and your power supply are still good, you could keep those.  Price goes down to 485$.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 18, 2015, 08:17:52 AM
Viper doesn't build cheap system.
that's explains why I didn't last long as a computer seller :(

crazy canuck

Viper, I was thinking about waiting until Aug/Sept to see what skylake is like and what it does to other prices before I buy my next gaming rig.  Have you heard anything about what to expect from the new chip?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2015, 07:08:51 PM
Viper, I was thinking about waiting until Aug/Sept to see what skylake is like and what it does to other prices before I buy my next gaming rig.  Have you heard anything about what to expect from the new chip?
not really.  I went and googled it.  Apparently, it's 5-10% faster than mid-range current i7 offerings from Intel.  But I don't trust these benchmarks just yet.  The product is unreleased to the general public and there might be Windows adjustements or simply the new DX12 that will change benchmarks.

I don't think it will have a significant effect on prices.  I've been looking at the i7-4790k since last fall, and if I check a price history here:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k?history_days=365
it pretty much confirms that the prices have been flat for a year.  And why not?  The only competition for these CPUs is from Intel's newer products, and well, they've already had a new chipset released this summer and it didn't effect prices.  Intel usually has an overlong creaming strategy with its new CPUs, they are priced high for consumers that want the latest, than they slowly get rid of the old stock.  They can afford to wait, contrary to AMD. 

It may be that prices will lower around november, but between here and September, I very much doubt that Intel's prices are going down.  If they go down significantly, it will be because AMD's new chip, when it arrives next winter, will bring some competition to Intel in the gaming market.

Other products prices may go down though, but that is not related to Intel's new offering.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 03:40:48 PM
So, that 700$, that includes keyboard, mice and monitor?  I don't think I can fit in your budget with all that :unsure:

Oh no. Just the box.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2015, 09:17:18 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 03:40:48 PM

Oh no. Just the box.
look at the links I posted, it's a basis for work.

Valmy

Thanks that should be all the info I need. I will let you know what I end up with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Build a performance gaming PC for 620$

They include monitor and Windows license.
So, I took as the basis for a new kit.  I built it with 16gb RAM, that's not too much considering you are sharing 2 with the video card.
I used a 2TB hard drive.
I've added a low end GPU, the R7 250.  This is the only one that will work with AMD Dual Graphics (wich is bullshit, imho, but if you're on a budget, it will give you better performance than the APU)

So here's the build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7HjxK8
671$

I have no idea how it works in real life conditions with DA:I.  I remain unconvinced the R7 GPU would make that much of a difference, it is equivalent to the bonus with Crossfire enabled, after all.  Might want to invest in a bigger GPU, even start with no GPU, see how it goes, then add a R9 280x, or 270x worst case scenario.

Grey Fox

Wow, you can do it Viper.

I am impress.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Berkut

Yeah, I am impressed viper!

OK, do me now!

Budget: ~$1000
DO not need a new case or OS. Probably don't need a power supply either, for that matter.

Must have a SSD drive though.

Go!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on June 23, 2015, 12:21:53 PM
Yeah, I am impressed viper!

OK, do me now!

Budget: ~$1000
DO not need a new case or OS. Probably don't need a power supply either, for that matter.

Must have a SSD drive though.

Go!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mDhzwP
998.63$
2TB WD black.
If you need more storage and are willing to compromise on speed, a WD Green 4TB could do.  It's about half speed as WD black, in my experience.

I have bad experiences with Seagate in the past, but apparently, they have fixed their problem now.  I can't see the price right now, but maybe the ST4000DM000 is cheapper than the WD black.

Also, both Seagate and Western Digital have hybrid SSD-HDD at affordable prices.  Slower than the fastest SSD, faster than all HDD but more storage than regular SSD.  It's cheaper than 1 SSD+1 HDD.  Is it good, is it reliable?  I'm not very sure...  I would hesitate at putting something very valuable on this type of drive, but I could be too cautious.  And did I say I don't trust Seagate? ;)
Above 4tb hdd, there isn't much in terms of "performance hard drive".  You get into NAS regular drives or helium drives (8tb and more) wich are insanely priced.  Imho, 4tb is the sweet spot for a hard drive.

I picked the 290x because it was presently cheaper than a GTX 970.  If power consumption is really an issue for you, Nvidia would be the better choice, albeit pricier by a few $$.

Berkut

Yeah, I can't imagine why a hybrid would be better. Is it transparent? Meaning, does it show up as just one drive to the user, and the controller decides how to place data or something?

I was actually thinking about the Samsung 850, but would likely just go with the 850-Evo. From what I've seen, it is pretty much impossible to see the difference with the Pro, and for another $30 I would rather have a 500GB SSD that runs basically just as fast.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned