The poorest (and richest) town in each US state

Started by merithyn, June 10, 2015, 08:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Blimey, I could buy a three-bedroom house in Kansas on my credit card without blowing my limit.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on June 11, 2015, 09:49:46 AM
Blimey, I could buy a three-bedroom house in Kansas on my credit card without blowing my limit.

and still do your current job.

Why don't you do it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2015, 12:26:33 PM
Meri, where is Johnston City IA?  Link says it's the richest town in Iowa but I've never heard of it.

What Meri said; a little ways outside of Des Moines.  My time out in Iowa was spent with my grandmother in Johnston.  Kind of surprised it wasn't Sioux Center, honestly- seems like there's far more economic activity going on out there.
Experience bij!

merithyn

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 11, 2015, 01:23:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2015, 12:26:33 PM
Meri, where is Johnston City IA?  Link says it's the richest town in Iowa but I've never heard of it.

What Meri said; a little ways outside of Des Moines.  My time out in Iowa was spent with my grandmother in Johnston.  Kind of surprised it wasn't Sioux Center, honestly- seems like there's far more economic activity going on out there.

:blink:

West Des Moines and the surrounding areas are where all the insurance money from Des Moines goes. DSM is the insurance capital of the Midwest, and there are a ton of huge corporations in the city. None of the employees want to be in DSM-proper, though, so they all head out west, aka Johnston, West Des Moines, Urbandale, Clive, etc. It's been that way since I was a kid. I think West Des Moines is almost as big as DSM-proper now because of it.

And whatever economic boom is going on in Sioux City (I assume you mean, because Sioux Center is a tiny town in the middle of corn and soybeans) isn't going to touch the corporations in DSM. Sioux Falls, SD, however, has a bit of cash from the oil fields, so it may be them that you're thinking of? Regardless, any real money in Iowa is going to be from farming corporations or the insurance companies, and I'm guessing the international insurance companies edge out the farming corporations by a bit of a wide margin.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...