Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2020, 04:53:46 PM
I mean what is more feasible? Phasing in electric cars or rebuilding an entire continent of cities?
Neither/both.
There just isn't the availability of rare earths for replacing all our cars with electrics.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2020, 06:45:08 PM
I mean what is more feasible? Phasing in electric cars or rebuilding an entire continent of cities?
Neither/both.
There just isn't the availability of rare earths for replacing all our cars with electrics.
Yeah plus, as I say, you produce far-less carbon if you buy second-hand gas guzzlers than buying a new electric car given the manufacturing cost.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Which types of rare earths do electric engines require?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2020, 06:47:03 PM
Neither/both.
Yeah plus, as I say, you produce far-less carbon if you buy second-hand gas guzzlers than buying a new electric car given the manufacturing cost.

But ripping down an entire continent of cities and rebuilding them to be more compact is carbon efficient?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2020, 06:49:04 PM
But ripping down an entire continent of cities and rebuilding them to be more compact is carbon efficient?
Why would we have to rebuild as opposed to just build? And again it's not just about compactness or mega-cities.

But yeah it's a fair point. But it's also a point you could make about any infrastructure like developing train networks or even renewable energy. The point is those are all investments and infrastructure that in the long-terms enables lots of people to reduce their carbon footpring. Electric vehicles do the opposite because you're still relying on energy for an individuals transport, whether on a daily basis or just at the weekend. And as I say presumably we gradually phase to electric vehicles and so will a lot of the other 6 billion humans without cars which isn't sustainable - whereas developing public infrastructure and working out how to adjust our societies to live without cars is sustainable and probably a better export.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2020, 06:47:03 PM
Neither/both.

But ripping down an entire continent of cities farms and rebuilding them to be more compact is carbon efficient?

Fixed your post to reflect that you and I actually live on farms.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2020, 03:14:47 AM
This is a decent article on the whole thing-
http://nautil.us/issue/7/waste/did-cars-save-our-cities-from-horses
Interesting points and also the trams were a huge part of the early 20th century transport in the UK too. Basically every town over 20k had a tram service. They were largely replaced by buses but then those have been consistently cut back for decades (like the story of the Beeching cuts).
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I once decided to walk to the nearest grocery store(roughly one kilometer away). All I bought was a gallon of milk and a jar of spaghetti sauce. It wasn't a pleasant return trip.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 16, 2020, 12:19:18 AM
I once decided to walk to the nearest grocery store(roughly one kilometer away). All I bought was a gallon of milk and a jar of spaghetti sauce. It wasn't a pleasant return trip.
Groceries are best done on a bike.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2020, 07:02:11 PM
Why would we have to rebuild as opposed to just build? And again it's not just about compactness or mega-cities.

Well we already have lots of places that have been built. I'm not sure how you change let's say Phoenix to be more compact/better connected without a combination of demolishing existing buildings and re-building elsewhere / tearing up things for transport infrastructure.

I'm not sure how you resolve something like my Massachusetts hometown without telling everyone they need to move out of their lightly populated areas and into more densely populated areas. Doing so will involve demolishing the now derelict areas and building new homes closer to transport links/hubs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Dunno about other countries, but over here, people sometimes use trolleys such as this for larger shopping trips:

It used to be something only old people used, but I'm seeing more and more families using them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 16, 2020, 03:14:28 AM

Dunno about other countries, but over here, people sometimes use trolleys such as this for larger shopping trips:

It used to be something only old people used, but I'm seeing more and more families using them.

Yes, a granny cart.

HVC

You need one of those old lady shopping carts :D

Edit  and garbon beat me :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.