Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

There is massive construction of city centre apartment blocks going on in Manchester at the moment and has been for some years. The difference to the 1960s is that the blocks are close to the city centre and are private sector rather than council built. Their occupants are students, young professionals and so on...the proximity to all the restaurants and nightlife is a big part of their allure. This movement is now so prevalent that new blocks are actually being built in the centre of Preston nowadays https://www.theexchangepreston.com/discover-preston  :hmm:

Syt

Some WW2 pun propaganda. :)

(Also, those Germans look adorable :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

If you mean the minions from Despicable Me - no German word for them. Otherwise Lakai(sing.)/Lakaien(pl.), Scherge/Schergen? Lakai (lackey) is more servile than Scherge, I think.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

They say once the nazis were gone German productivity shot up 50%
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Yo, Boston, MA ... WTF??

I'm certainly not one who thinks every building that has a bit of historic patina needs to be preserved at all costs, but this is just plain hideous.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Condo forced to preserve facade? We have a few around here. Although less glaring.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Paywalled so don't know, but it's possible they weren't forced to but chose to preserve the facade.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2024, 03:36:59 AMPaywalled so don't know, but it's possible they weren't forced to but chose to preserve the facade.

They do let us read it internationally and yes, that matches with what I got from the article. Though I'm not sure whether it draws line on if they had to keep the facade.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

With the explanation and looking closer at the photo I actually really like this church-condo.

██████
██████
██████

Syt

My comment referred to it being a condo now, not necessarily that they were required to maintain the facade.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2024, 02:19:28 AMSeems to be the case: https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/03/09/they-celebrated-life-and-love-in-holy-trinity-church-now-its-a-condo-building/

Being a person that has lived in a church-turned-condo...I actually rather like it, and approve of keeping the facade.  I think it is a nice touch.  :sleep:

And for what it is worth...it appears the average condo there is going for $3-4 million. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/140-Shawmut-Ave-4B-Boston-MA-02118/2090735211_zpid/

It has a nice buttress.  :P